Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings Bound  (Read 11286 times)

Grubesac

• View Profile
Re: Hastings Bound
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2005, 04:32:35 PM »
Cooly ooly o 
Good info...

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2005, 03:22:28 PM »
Wow guys, this ish is getting real :o Handed in my two weeks notice at work yesterday and I called the Hastings bookstore to preorder my books. Crazy, crazy, crazy. I'm sooo excited. I cannot wait to get up there and learn some law!

Hey Ambs--have you got your professors all picked out yet?  ;) Has your research turned up any professors to be scared of?

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2005, 12:02:11 PM »
I did find a site that has rankings and comments on professors, www.ratemyprofessor.com. Made some notes of profs people really liked, or ones that were particularly mean, but of course its all the luck of the draw for our first year. I do like how the site lets people rate the "hotness" factor, but I'm guessing most of our profs will score low on that scale.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2005, 11:31:52 AM »
Hey guys, I am in the airport waiting for my flight home  :(.  We started in Ecaudor and went to the Galapagos Islands, which was amazing.  Saw a few more towns in Ecaudor and then headed to Peru.  We did some white water rafting and sightseeing for a few days.  Then we did the Inca Trail, which is a 4 day (difficult) hike to Machu Picchu.

My boyfriend and I wanted to spend some quality pre LS time together, which is now all the more important.  He got an email a few days ago he got into USC school of engineering.  He was planning to move to SF with me and apply to bay area schools.  Now it looks like he will stay down here.  I am WL at USC, and I had mentally commited to Hastings, but may push more for USC now.

I was really hoping all this would work itself out by the time we got home and we would just need to start moving.  What a stressful summer!

Melinda

tjordan90

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.44 / 164
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tjordan90
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2005, 12:19:01 AM »
Just an update on my apartment hunting.  I flew in on Wednesday and walked around the city most of Thursday.  Since I was not familiar with the city, I noted a few observations:

*The Tenderloin area (specifically, a few blocks north of Hastings) is a terrible area, littered with the homeless.  I had actually considered the area (for its proximity), but after visiting, that was a definite no-no.
*The Nob Hill area is nice and there is definitely available housing.
*The Alamo Square area is very nice and quasi-suburban area.  Alamo Square is exactly one mile west of the corner of McAllister and Hyde.  I have heard that the area is noted for its gay/lesbian population.

I've put in an application on a nice place in the Alamo Square area (Webster St.).  There's a Safeway nearby and a little shopping center.  I'm very happy about the size of my studio out in this area -- bigger than the studios in the Nob Hill area.

I also spoke with a lady in the Housing Office, and according to her, while there is a waiting list for The Tower, there has been a lot of movement off the waiting list and there is a fair chance of getting into the Tower if you apply for a studio.  I saw a few units in the Tower.  My thoughts on them were: the units were a decent size, but the kitchens were quite small.  There was only a mini-fridge, with the mini-fridge-type freezer.  There were two burners, small oven, no microwave.  The rooms are carpeted. Depending on the floor, the view is very nice.  The sky room is very nice.  The gym is serviceable and has free weights and cardio machines.  I considered seriously getting on the waiting list, but I am on a tight schedule and so I really needed to know definitely about my housing within a week.

My other observation: San Francisco -- really nice city overall.
Attending UC Hastings in the fall.

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2005, 12:58:16 AM »
TJordan,
Thanks for the info from your visit up to San Francisco. I'm going to be living in the Tower so it's comforting to hear that they're livable  ;D Congratulations on finding a place to live up there!

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2005, 01:02:09 AM »
PS: welcome to Cali  :D

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2005, 04:18:27 AM »
tjordan-

good luck with the housing situation - I think being slightly out of the tenderloin is probably the best - ie; nob hill, pac heights, etc. I live in the marina, but it is slightly farther than Ii'd prefer. SF is an amazing city and any area has a lot to offer.

best of luck, Ambs

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2005, 02:40:36 PM »
Hey guys, 3 weeks until orientation!  How is everyone feeling?  I am anxious and excited.  I am going to look for an apt this weekend, and hoping that will go well.

Oscar, looking forward to meeting you at the OC alumni dinner.  I am blond, green eyes, 5'4.  No idea what I will be wearing.  It says casual, which is nice, but I dont want to look like a slob.

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »
Hi Melinda . . .
It is exciting times, isn't it. It will be nice meeting you at the alumni reception, hopefully we'll have name tags :-) I'm kind of bewildered about what to wear too. I dont want to show up in shorts and a t-shirt (my def of casual) and feel like a bum if everyone else is dressed up but then again I don't want to fall into the preppy stereotype and come in overdressed. lol, I can't believe I'm worrying about what to wear.
Later,
Oscar