Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings Bound  (Read 11612 times)

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hastings Bound
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2005, 11:18:01 PM »
Oh yeah, you asked where I'm from. I'm moving from the opposite side of the state. I'm moving up from Orange County in So. Cal. Ever been?? If you're a native Bay Arean then there isn't much reason for you to visit if you haven't already since your end of the state is much cooler, hehe.
--Oscar

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2005, 12:52:58 PM »
I think most of my trips to Orange County have been to Anaheim (aka Disneyland) but I have a few good friends from the OC (Tustin and Fullerton).

I totally agree this end of the state is superior, but my friends from SoCal don't always agree! Congrats on making the move - I think you'll like it up here!

tjordan90

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.44 / 164
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tjordan90
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2005, 04:35:23 PM »
Alright, so I have decided against finding an apartment during orientation and actually flying out soon to go apartment hunting in the city (curiously, did anyone ever receive information about living in the Towers, because I never received any information; I was using the Hastings website and stumbled across some seemingly important information [checklists, housing] - I feel as though I should've received some sort of "Welcome to Hastings" packet after I sent in my deposit).

I'll be armed with my laptop computer, Google Earth, and housingmaps.com, and hopefully I'll be able to find something quickly.  Any tips?

Quick question to those more familiar than I am: My financial aid -- grants, federal loans, and private loan -- will be deposited into my student account at Hastings.  How will I get access to funds to pay for such things as the apartment, food, supplies, books, etc.?  A lump sum check at the beginning of the semester, I assume?  Therefore my housing deposits will have to be paid for out of pocket?
Attending UC Hastings in the fall.

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »
If you want to have the extra money (after tuition and fees are deducted) deposited automatically into your checking/savings, you can fill out a form with fiscal services. It was included with your bill. They also gave information in that mailing on how to get the refund check if you don't do the direct deposit. I think you just pick up the check on the 17th or 18th. Did you not get that packet???

Definitely use craiglist.org for apartment searching. I'm sure you'll find something.

tjordan90

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.44 / 164
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2005, 04:50:57 PM »
Yes, I did get the $32,000 packet.  They seem to have no trouble with those mailings.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2005, 05:40:21 PM »
Alright, so I have decided against finding an apartment during orientation and actually flying out soon to go apartment hunting in the city (curiously, did anyone ever receive information about living in the Towers, because I never received any information; I was using the Hastings website and stumbled across some seemingly important information [checklists, housing] - I feel as though I should've received some sort of "Welcome to Hastings" packet after I sent in my deposit).

I'll be armed with my laptop computer, Google Earth, and housingmaps.com, and hopefully I'll be able to find something quickly.  Any tips?

Quick question to those more familiar than I am: My financial aid -- grants, federal loans, and private loan -- will be deposited into my student account at Hastings.  How will I get access to funds to pay for such things as the apartment, food, supplies, books, etc.?  A lump sum check at the beginning of the semester, I assume?  Therefore my housing deposits will have to be paid for out of pocket?

I feel you on that cause I've felt like a lost puppy half the time. I'm not sure if the school has processed my loans yet or not. I haven't received a bill. I haven't received anything since May. People spoke of some sort of registration materials....hmmmm, nope not I. Nada. I heard the administration was bad, and I can see why.

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2005, 08:00:34 PM »
I haven't gotten my financial aid award letter yet, so I haven't even applied for my loans! I'm so worried everything will be late and I'll be starving in August, but I'm trying not to stress. Having gone to UC Berkeley I can advise that UC's have much less resources and that you just have to remain vigilent, but things will get done. Plus you're going to a great school and for CA people - saving money on tuition. So, just keep on them for things missing.

tjordan90

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.44 / 164
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2005, 08:40:33 PM »
Ambs, you haven't received anything about loans?  I've already received two FINAL NOTICES regarding my financial aid.  I got my finaid letter awhile back but I was lazy about the process, finally getting everything in just a few days ago.  Did you mail them the supplemental financial aid form after doing the FAFSA?

Good thing this board exists.  Maybe we can all combine the paperwork we individually receive from Hastings and then figure out what the heck we're supposed to do.

akito117

• "Do you want some sandwiches?"
    • AOL Instant Messenger - akito117
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 12:07:03 AM »
Hi Guys!

I'm Hastings bound as well- from SoCal.  Great to see that this thread exists!

tjordan90-  Which $32,000 packet are you referring to?  I actually don't think I received that one.   

To my knowledge, for the supplemental financial aid form, it must be filled out ASAP in order for them to produce a financial aid award letter.  As for fulfilling the final notice requirements- there are only 2.  The first is the online loan counseling session, you can just go to www.collegeexit.com read the material and take the small quiz at the end.  The second requirement is just to email the financial aid counselor (Dewayne Barnes) and let him know how you are signing your master promissory note.

I have yet heard about my Perkins loan.

Anybody else with loan/paperwork information please share!  :)

Thanks in advance!

Attending:  UC Hastings

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »
Hey Akito. . .
Where in So. Cal. are you from? I'll be moving up from Orange County. Are you headed to the alumni reception for new students?