Law School Discussion

Hastings Bound

Ambs

• View Profile
Re: Hastings Bound
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »
Definitely don't worry about prepping on your trip. I have 3 weeks off before school starts too and then will dive more into my E&E's just to give myself familiarity with the subjects. I want to finish reading Planet Law School now to give me some sort of strategy for the upcoming year. But I also have felt disinclined to prep this summer - I want to enjoy the little freedom I have left!

Have a great time on your trip - I'm jealous, sounds amazing!

tjordan90

• 3.44 / 164
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tjordan90
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 09:34:40 PM »
You can add me to the Hastings-Bound list of LSDers.  I am a lifelong Massachusetts native, and I spent my last four years as an undergraduate at Boston University.  Needless to say, moving out to San Francisco and going to UC Hastings will be a major change.  I just received word from BU Law today that I was not accepted from their waitlist, so its pretty much final that I'm moving out to San Francisco.  I'm hoping to meet some of you fine upstanding LSDers.

I was planning on getting an apartment in a location relatively close to campus.  My cousin is getting married August 13th in Rhode Island, and I was going to fly out on Sunday August 14th before orientation begins on August 15th.  I realize this is cutting it close.  Do you think I should spend some time in SFO beforehand to find an apartment, then fly back for the wedding, then fly out again?  Am I insane if I get in on Sunday, try to do orientation, find an apt, move in to an apartment, and be ready for the first day of classes by Thursday?  If yes, to what extent?

And if anyone has housing and is in need of a relatively neat and peaceful male roommate, send me a message...

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
Hey Tjordan,

If I were you, I would come out early if at all possible. I think that starting law school and making such a big move are going to be stressful enough. You might as well do everything in your power to make the transition as relaxed as possible. I think that if you fly in on the 14th knowing that you have a place to go home to, you will feel a lot better about things. To say nothing of the fact that you are going to be pretty busy from the second you arrive. It would probably be a bit much to add an apartment hunt to the mix. If possible, why don't you come out, find a place and get to know the city for a few days in advance. It will make the move less overwhelming.

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
Tjordan,  The other thing you could do is start looking for a room in an apartment on craiglist.org and communicate with the roommates via e-mail and phone. They can send you pictures and a description and you can send a check if you decide to take the room. My friend found her roommate (also a student moiving across the country) this way via craigslist and it worked out fine. Not ideal, obviously, but a possibility.

If you can though, I think getting her a week earlier would be better. I have a feeling we're already going to be busy that first week of orientation/class.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2005, 10:55:57 PM »
Hey Hey Hey ;D I'm headed to Hastings next month and it's cool to see that you guys are too and that you all sound like nice, happy, well-adjusted folks. Anybody living in the tower? When is the next LSD'er happy hour in Frisco?? I'm moving in on August 4th. Who will be around then?

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2005, 12:55:06 PM »
Hi Oscar - we'll definitely plan a little happy hour sometime in the first week of August. No dates decided yet, but around the time you get here. Where are you moving here from.

Oh and PS "frisco" hurts this native bay arean's ears. "SF" or "the city" sounds a little better.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2005, 01:32:40 PM »
I just want to move now. Anyone want to let me crash with them for awhile? I'm Minnesotan so I can bring lots of hot dish, rhubarb pie, ice fishing equipment, and Kevin Garnett.

Any takers?

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2005, 03:11:52 PM »
When are you scheduled to move Grubes?

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2005, 04:02:02 PM »
I'll be shipping out early in August, probably around the 1st or so, set up my place with a bed. Then my GF is going to fly in, help me pick out some decor, and hit up the city for a couple days.

I'm pretty stoked....

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2005, 09:14:08 PM »
Ambs, thankks for the tip!! I'm learning stuff already, look at that  ;D