Law School Discussion

Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer

plutoeyore

• My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:34:24 AM »
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share that I have ok credit(close to a 640) and with access I was able to get a private loan w/ out a co-signer.... not their best rate....

But I was so dreading trying to find a cosigner, I don't care....

So, for those of you who are running late in the applying stage, don't just assume if you don't have stellar credit that you'll need a cosigner....

Hooray!

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 09:48:01 AM »
Hi Pluto,
Thanks for the info. I'm freaking out about this myself because I have been turned down everywhere with my credit in the low 600s. Getting my score up above 640 is my goal, because I think I can do that within a couple of months.
One of my biggest credit problems is that some of my cards are close to their limits. If I can get them paid off or substantially paid down that should make a big difference.
I was able to improve my credit fairly quickly last year, but then encountered (sigh) more bumps, financial emergencies, etc., that knocked it back down.

plutoeyore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 09:54:39 PM »
All I can say is that I heard if you can get all your cards to 50% paid off -- itll really jump up your score.... Don't even get me started on how those emergency, bumps in the road, etc(esp w/ kids and a dog) hurt the cc ratings....  Boy do I ever hear that.

I am assuming you like me prob need the priv for books, bart, cost of living etc....

Please let me know how it is going....

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 02:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement pluto.
I think the paying down the debt ASAP will be the best way to improve my score. Of course to do that I need $$.
Starting next week I'm going to go the flea market and just start selling off anything I don't need to raise some bucks.
Yes, the private loan money will help me pay silly little things like rent or food.

COmom

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »
My score (when pulled today) is a 630 from Experian.  Today I was denied at Access and CitiBank, but approved w/ a cosigner at Nellie Mae.  Prime+2.25 and no supplemental fees.  I am now sure (and quite relieved) to know I will be going to LS in the fall...

plutoeyore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »
Congrats COmom!!!

COmom

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »
I sure hate loan companies.  I was conditionally approved with a co-borrower, however my co-borrower was denied.  UGH!  After crying for a bit then calling dad (he can't cosign as his debt to income ratio is too high) he suggested grandma - who said ok.  Paperwork is on the way to her - let's hope this one works out or I don't know what to do.

Financial aid office isn't too helpful - the only suggestion was to defer a year.  Keep your fingers crossed for me  :-[

lex19

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:23:16 AM »
pluto, where did you apply??? I'm not getting anywhere and co-signer is not an option

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 10:25:11 AM »
I have already been turned down twice (Access & Nellie Mae) and a co-signer is not an option.  Both of those companies would have approved me with a credit worthy co-signer, but unfortunately, everybody I know is in the same boat as me. :-[

pluto, where did you apply??? I'm not getting anywhere and co-signer is not an option

lex19

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:26:14 AM »
i feel your pain roxie, check your pm