Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer  (Read 2023 times)

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer
« on: June 18, 2005, 03:34:24 AM »
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share that I have ok credit(close to a 640) and with access I was able to get a private loan w/ out a co-signer.... not their best rate....

But I was so dreading trying to find a cosigner, I don't care....

So, for those of you who are running late in the applying stage, don't just assume if you don't have stellar credit that you'll need a cosigner....

Hooray!

Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Not Great Credit but didn't need a co-signer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »
Hi Pluto,
Thanks for the info. I'm freaking out about this myself because I have been turned down everywhere with my credit in the low 600s. Getting my score up above 640 is my goal, because I think I can do that within a couple of months.
One of my biggest credit problems is that some of my cards are close to their limits. If I can get them paid off or substantially paid down that should make a big difference.
I was able to improve my credit fairly quickly last year, but then encountered (sigh) more bumps, financial emergencies, etc., that knocked it back down.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:54:39 PM »
All I can say is that I heard if you can get all your cards to 50% paid off -- itll really jump up your score.... Don't even get me started on how those emergency, bumps in the road, etc(esp w/ kids and a dog) hurt the cc ratings....  Boy do I ever hear that.

I am assuming you like me prob need the priv for books, bart, cost of living etc....

Please let me know how it is going....

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 04:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement pluto.
I think the paying down the debt ASAP will be the best way to improve my score. Of course to do that I need $$.
Starting next week I'm going to go the flea market and just start selling off anything I don't need to raise some bucks.
Yes, the private loan money will help me pay silly little things like rent or food.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

COmom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
My score (when pulled today) is a 630 from Experian.  Today I was denied at Access and CitiBank, but approved w/ a cosigner at Nellie Mae.  Prime+2.25 and no supplemental fees.  I am now sure (and quite relieved) to know I will be going to LS in the fall...

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 04:01:32 PM »
Congrats COmom!!!

COmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »
I sure hate loan companies.  I was conditionally approved with a co-borrower, however my co-borrower was denied.  UGH!  After crying for a bit then calling dad (he can't cosign as his debt to income ratio is too high) he suggested grandma - who said ok.  Paperwork is on the way to her - let's hope this one works out or I don't know what to do.

Financial aid office isn't too helpful - the only suggestion was to defer a year.  Keep your fingers crossed for me  :-[

lex19

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:23:16 AM »
pluto, where did you apply??? I'm not getting anywhere and co-signer is not an option

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »
I have already been turned down twice (Access & Nellie Mae) and a co-signer is not an option.  Both of those companies would have approved me with a credit worthy co-signer, but unfortunately, everybody I know is in the same boat as me. :-[

pluto, where did you apply??? I'm not getting anywhere and co-signer is not an option
Think before you speak.

lex19

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »
i feel your pain roxie, check your pm