Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just Read Turow's One L  (Read 2210 times)

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Just Read Turow's One L
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 12:56:57 PM »
Did Howard Zinn write that one too?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

txntrio

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 01:10:46 PM »
Another good thing to do with One L is to have your spouse or significant other read it.  Going into 1L is going to be hard for not just us, but also our families.  I ask my wife to read it after I finished it, since I figure we both have to make the same commitment, and Turow does a pretty good job of exploring the effect 1L has on those trying to live with the student.

elemnopee

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 02:12:16 PM »

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »
I just finished rereading the Iliad, and I think after I'm done with the Odyssey I'm going to go onto Tolstoy or maybe a little Vonnegut... I think it'll prepare me as much as any of the so called "how to succeed" books will. And I won't have spent money and a bunch of time this summer when I'll have to figure out what works beset for when I get there anyways. Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:57 AM »
I just finished rereading the Iliad, and I think after I'm done with the Odyssey I'm going to go onto Tolstoy or maybe a little Vonnegut... I think it'll prepare me as much as any of the so called "how to succeed" books will. And I won't have spent money and a bunch of time this summer when I'll have to figure out what works beset for when I get there anyways. Just my 2 cents.

which translation of homer?  i think fagles does an amazing job

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 09:15:54 AM »
Technically, he didn't highlight, he used colored pens to write briefs and take class notes.  And his tuition was about $3000/year, and books were $25.

I don't think law school is like that anymore.  I think it's a worse case scenario, and I doubt you will find teachers like Perini.  I think you need to take that book with a grain of salt.  I think there's a level of competitiveness at Harvard that doesn't exist anywhere else.  And Turow acknowledges that his personality added to his struggles.  I think every 1L should read the book, and realize that if they ever feel like he did, they need to take a step back.  But I wouldn't read it and decide if you can hack law school based on what he writes.

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 10:01:05 AM »

which translation of homer?  i think fagles does an amazing job
The Lattimore translation. I think the last time I read it it was fagles, can't remember.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 10:31:28 AM »
The Lattimore translation is awesome, we studied that in college and it made it actually a fun read.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 10:49:48 AM »
Are you sure you're not confusing One L with Law SchooL Confidential?  I read both, and I don't remember anything about highlighters in One L.  LSC goes on and on about their intricate multi-chromatic highlighting scheme. 

I'm glad I read One L because I think it painted such an absolutely worst case picture that the actual law school experience will seem like a pleasant surprise :)

gamaya

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 01:03:34 PM »
I would think seriously before gleaming any lessons about the law school experience after reading One L. I love the book- its an amazing read- but I dont think his experience is in any way typical of a normal first year at law school.  I dont even think it was typical of a 1L's experience at Harvard in the 70s.  I say this because Turow wasn't your typical 1L and he certainly isn't your typical lawyer... He hardly ever practices law anymore (we work in the same firm and I can tell you that he's not in his office right now and probably hasn't been for the past week).  Simply put, he's a writer, not a lawyer.  For our purposes, I think it's much more wise to look at One L as a great piece of fiction rather than an autobiographical work. 

and i second the previous poster-- i don't remember anything about highlighting in the book!