Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Breaks?  (Read 1377 times)

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Breaks?
« on: June 09, 2004, 11:23:09 PM »
This question is aimed at those who have taken the LSAT before.  Are there breaks inbetween the sections, much like the GRE?  If there are breaks, how long and are you allowed to write (on the scantron card) during the breaks? 

Thx.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

utaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.36/164
    • View Profile
Re: Breaks?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:26:17 PM »
Ok, I haven't taken the test, but...

There's a 10-15min break after the first 3 sections.

Total of 5 sections (and the writing section that isn't too important)

The problem with people who practice preptests is this:
1) They only work 4 sections, instead of the 5 on the real exam.
2) A lot of people give themselves 30seconds-2 minutes between sections, which is absurd. You only get like 10 seconds between the sections, or you should train for that.

M2

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 11:29:50 PM »
Adding in that experimental section makes a big difference too...If I add an RC at the beginning I am dead tired by the end of the full test.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:34:46 PM »
Thx for the quick reply.  I'm mainly concerned about whether you are allowed to touch and write on your ScanTron cards during the break(s)?  B/c I'm thinking instead of fully blotting the circles during the actual exam, just lightly mark them with a X or a dot and fully circle them during the breaks =)?  This could possibly save you 1 or 2 minutes...  Which can make a big difference if you're aiming for a high score.

Would this strategy work?

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 11:40:18 PM »
Moogle--
You CANNOT write on your test booklet or your scantron during the breaks.  This would get you in MAJOR trouble.  There is a 10-15 minute break after the 3rd section.  Just as an FYI, you get about a one minute break in between each section while the proctor reads instructions.  It really helps having that breather to up the concentration.

One thing that really shook me my first LSAT...yes I took it twice...was how long it takes to actually start.  Be prepared to be sitting in the room, checked in for at least an hour to an hour and a half before you test.  They're not kidding when they say all said in done, the LSAT will last you at leats 6 hours. 
Good luck!
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 11:46:37 PM »
Thx.

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 01:47:43 AM »
QUOTE: A lot of people give themselves 30seconds-2 minutes between sections, which is   absurd. You only get like 10 seconds between the sections, or you should train for that.

Are you sure about that?  I've read that you get 'about a minute' for allowing for the proctor to read the directions.

Also, I've at least some of the people do take practice tests with an extra psuedo-experimental section.  I find that it really helps.  I'm more confident about my rhythm and pacing.  I've got more tests than I can handle, so I usually use a LG section from '10 Actual' as the first section.

I've been giving myself 60 seconds after sections 1, 2, and 4; and then 15 minutes after section 4.  By the time I start the writing sample, I'm tired as hell, but I feel like I've actually prepared myself, as opposed to just studying old tests.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 08:55:03 AM »

When i took the test in 98 you just flipped to the next section and began.  you probably had about 10 seconds between sections.  no reading of directions.  this is how i have been practicing.  its tough at first but you adjust to it.  (just letting go of the previous section and focusing on the new one is the toughest part)

QUOTE: A lot of people give themselves 30seconds-2 minutes between sections, which is   absurd. You only get like 10 seconds between the sections, or you should train for that.

Are you sure about that?  I've read that you get 'about a minute' for allowing for the proctor to read the directions.

Also, I've at least some of the people do take practice tests with an extra psuedo-experimental section.  I find that it really helps.  I'm more confident about my rhythm and pacing.  I've got more tests than I can handle, so I usually use a LG section from '10 Actual' as the first section.

I've been giving myself 60 seconds after sections 1, 2, and 4; and then 15 minutes after section 4.  By the time I start the writing sample, I'm tired as hell, but I feel like I've actually prepared myself, as opposed to just studying old tests.

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:30 PM »
In my practice tests I immediately flip to the next section as soon as the 35 minz are up.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »
My friend who took the LSAT a couple years back said there were short breaks in between sections.  So as I understand, it is more than 10 seconds.  But the different accounts on this board lead me to believe it is at the discretion of the individual proctor.  So I am guessing we will not know for sure until we are taking the test.