Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: thats it..i'm done!  (Read 1441 times)

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
thats it..i'm done!
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:56:13 PM »
i'm done.  words cannot express my frustration with this test.  my scores are getting worse on practice tests at this point.  LR has always been my strong point, but i'm even scoring horribly on that section.  i think i'm overthinking everything.  when i get the questions down to two answer choices, i've just lost all instinct for which is correct.  i just over anylize them and until there is nothing left.  so thats it.  i think pounding away at this is now dong more harm than good.

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: thats it..i'm done!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:58:42 PM »
my friend take a day off... u seem to be burnt and your worries are making you perform worser which in turn is making you worry even more.. a day or two off and fresh mind can make a world of a difference..

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »
This happend to me, so I took an older LR section, erased all my marks, and went through untimed; reading the passage fast, like during the test, but slowly answering the questions.  Each question was not sufficiently answered until all other possibilities were ruled out and understood.  After that I convinced myself that ALL of the questions have ONE answer and I have the ability to discern that answer.  (All things you know already, but previous drilling kinda mutated)  Now I don't allow myself to move on unless I KNOW I have the right answer (unless the question takes more than 2 minutes or so), because I found that I would narrow to two then guess a lot more than when I started.  It's stupid and not a real strategy, but I believe that when your state of mind is in the right place then your abilities show through as they should.  I decided this when I got that 164 you see below, I was so discouraged at the reversal of progress that I knew I needed to change something, and it's paid off (kinda they're still only practice :))
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

newguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:44:29 PM »
looks like youre in great shape for the test!

just out of curiosity, how many (if any) do you usualy get wrong on the RC section.  I cant seem to get less than 2-3 wrong on any RC section!

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 10:54:46 PM »
RC since this has been 2-4.  Once I got one, but never perfect.

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 10:58:04 PM »
instinct wont help you with those LRs, you have to know why its right, just reread the passage.  i find it is always a tiny subtlety i missed, a couple words or a phrase that make the answer right.  even then, there are always a few that are next to impossible under the time constraints.

i'm done.  words cannot express my frustration with this test.  my scores are getting worse on practice tests at this point.  LR has always been my strong point, but i'm even scoring horribly on that section.  i think i'm overthinking everything.  when i get the questions down to two answer choices, i've just lost all instinct for which is correct.  i just over anylize them and until there is nothing left.  so thats it.  i think pounding away at this is now dong more harm than good.

Victor

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 11:22:58 PM »
This happend to me, so I took an older LR section, erased all my marks, and went through untimed; reading the passage fast, like during the test, but slowly answering the questions.  Each question was not sufficiently answered until all other possibilities were ruled out and understood.  After that I convinced myself that ALL of the questions have ONE answer and I have the ability to discern that answer.  (All things you know already, but previous drilling kinda mutated)  Now I don't allow myself to move on unless I KNOW I have the right answer (unless the question takes more than 2 minutes or so), because I found that I would narrow to two then guess a lot more than when I started.  It's stupid and not a real strategy, but I believe that when your state of mind is in the right place then your abilities show through as they should.  I decided this when I got that 164 you see below, I was so discouraged at the reversal of progress that I knew I needed to change something, and it's paid off (kinda they're still only practice :))

The scores of the preptests in your sig are under untimed conditions?

utaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.36/164
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 11:27:34 PM »
i thought this referred to burnout. I can't work any problems at the moment, not enough focus, so i turn to this discussion board.

but there has to be some studying method that i can use for downtime, like should i consider flashcards or what?

M2

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 11:31:34 PM »
I suggest taking a real break with NO study materials.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 11:33:55 PM »
No I always time, but I wonder, I give myself the amount of time it take to reset the clock between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, but like a minute or two between 2 & 3.  I'm not sure if that's a good simulation or what.

The scores of the preptests in your sig are under untimed conditions?