Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lawn Jockeys as art?  (Read 808 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Lawn Jockeys as art?
« on: June 17, 2005, 02:16:10 PM »

Thanks…
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

HBCU.EDU

Re: Lawn Jockeys as art?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »
It aint art man. I say get rid of it. Hey, how are you going to feel when some of the black law students come to your house for a group meeting or something and they see this black face in your yard? How are you going to explain that? You are def in a messed up situation and I feel for you. You seem to know the facts and you know exactly how you feel. Is there a way to move it to the back or cover it? You def. have to get it out of your yard. That statue says something totally different when it's in a white mans' yard. 

Keep a smile in your heart...

Fabyahluss

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »
I never thought I'd say this but I agree with HBCU 100% (I know,  :o, right?)

We were discussing a similar topic in one of my Black studies classes awhile back. Personally, I'm against blackface "art," regardless of the race of the owner. I feel that it brings us back to a time in history when Blacks were made mockeries of; people to be laughed at, considered foolish, and treated as ignorant individuals.  

Some Blacks, however, do not feel this way, such as the previous owner of the home. Still, as HBCU stated, I think it would be in your best interest to remove the piece from your yard. Otherwise, people will perceive you as a racist. Your classmates, your professors, and your neighbors will all label you and treat you as something that your may not be. Word gets around. What if you intend to work in the area in which you live, and employers stigmatize you because of that piece? Is it really, really worth it?

I suggest that you speak to the woman who owns this art. Tell her exactly what you explained to us. Tell her how uncomfortable you are with having the piece in your yard, and what implications it can possibly have on your life. Obviously, the woman is clueless if she thinks that it's okay for a white man to have a Blackface piece displayed in his front yard. She should completely understand if she has any sense whatsoever. If not, defintely, defintely hide it or put it in storage.

jdw112

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 09:52:33 AM »
Um...why not help her out and avoid being labeled racist? Tie a tarp around the statue. Lock it if you have to. Thank you and have a good night. Drive safely.