Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another FSU vs. UF thread  (Read 2627 times)

chaos

• View Profile
Re: Another FSU vs. UF thread
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 12:55:17 PM »
No one is coming in to defend UF...I was hoping someone would call me crazy or something.

c130nav

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 03:47:21 PM »
Well, just to let you know the salary ranges that you are looking at are proabably wrong.  US news reports 60k for FSU and 56k for UF.  If you go by the schools websites its 56k for FSU and 65k UF. Those are both median starting salaries for private practice. You also might consider the alumni network that each school has. There are significantly more UF alumni than FSU. It also seems that UF alumni are in more large law firms throughout FL while FSU tends to place more in government positions. That in my opinion is the biggest difference between the two schools. Based on that if you want to work a government position I would go to FSU and if you want to go to a law firm UF might be a better choice. 

brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 01:45:36 PM »
UF is the best law school in the state.  Take a look at any rankings system and also take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com.  There are a number of people who get into FSU, but don't make the cut at UF.  You also need to take into account that UF just built a brand new facility and they are getting rid of spring term enrollment.  FSU has a fine law school, but UF is slightly better.

HeatFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 03:49:18 PM »
I did undergrad at UF, and agree UF isn't as great as people talk it up to be and is overrated. However, when comparing the two, it places better in the whole state than FSU.  FSU doesn't have a large alumni base and doesn't place that well in firms.  They only place 48% of grads in firms.  If you want to do government FSU is a fine choice, otherwise UF is better for firm placement since they have a much bigger alumni base and has a better reputation.  FSU places mostly in western and northern Florida, and is known for small and mid size firms.  If you care more about big law and placement anywhere in Florida UF is a better choice. Plus FSU has an inferiority complex towards UF.

From their own viewbook this is FSU's avg. salary
Law firms -            62,050
judicial clerkships -  42,167
Government -           37, 045

I don't know what UF's is.  However, all law schools puff up their average. salaries and I would imagine both UF and FSU's are lower than they report.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »
It may be true that UF and FSU get closer in the rankings in the coming years. But there is no guarantee that this will help you as a student there in the next three years. My impression from living in FL for the last few years is that UF has a good reputation and may make it a little easier to get a job. But the difference does not seem to be too big and may not be big enough to make going to UF worth it if you really would be happier in Tally.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

omz131

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:49 PM »
i can give you some feedback on starting in the spring at UF. i started this past spring and had a great experience. i don't know about all the numbers and crap like that (to be honest, i wouldn't base your decision on all that stuff- if you do well in school, you'll do well when you get out), but i can tell you that i had a few very pleasant surprises.

first, it really is not a cut-throat environment. my classmates are all very friendly and willing to help each other out. people will help you in class if you get stuck on a question you don't know, and they'll share their notes if you miss a class. we just got grades and book awards were just announced and everyone was so supportive and congratulatory.

second, the professors are fantastic. my first semester profs were some of the best i've ever had. not scary, pretty funny, and they want you to succeed.

i will admit that the administrative staff is not the best. but it's a big public school. you can't have it all. the new facilities are very nice. the library is going to be fantastic when it opens this fall.

UF definitely has a great reputation in the state. gainesville is a fun town. i can't compare it to FSU but you won't go wrong if you decide to go to UF. good luck making your decision. and go gators!

khakieskimo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »
Law is very much prestige-oriented. UF is still the best law school in the state of FL. Whether or not FSU will catch up, only time will tell.

As some mentioned, FSU may very well place better in government, though just because they do place a higher percentage in government does not mean that UF couldn't do the same. It could just mean that the percentage of FSU grads that want government jobs is higher than the percentage of UF grads that want government jobs. The same comment could go for law firm placement with UF placing a higher percentage than FSU.

As far as Bar passage rate, most people take a Bar Prep class that teaches the materials on the bar. Law school doesn't really teach you enough of what you need to know to pass the bar. If it did, then more 3Ls would forego the Bar Prep class and review their law school materials for the past 3 years. If you disagree with me, talk to some people who recently took the Bar and ask them if they would have been able to pass the bar without having taken the Prep class.

The fact that UF Law is older than FSU obviously means it has more graduates out there. The fact that UF has 400 1Ls each year and FSU has somewhere around 220 means that the gap is getting bigger. The more alums out there, the easier it will be to get a job. When I say this, I am referring to the average graduate. The reality is that the top 10% at both schools will have no problem. Maybe even the top 20%. But everyone else will REALLY be using that alumni network.

Finally, returning to law being prestige-oriented, if you want to take your law degree to another state, the prestige of the school will possibly determine whether or not you even get looked at by recruiters/interviewers. Having a larger alumni network also means that the likelihood that there is an alum in the state where you want to practice is higher.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 01:58:43 PM »
tag!  ;D

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 06:54:45 PM »

UF definitely has a great reputation in the state. gainesville is a fun town. i can't compare it to FSU but you won't go wrong if you decide to go to UF. good luck making your decision. and go gators!

There are plenty of words I'd use to describe Gainesville. Fun isn't one of them.  :)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 07:09:12 PM »

There are plenty of words I'd use to describe Gainesville. Fun isn't one of them.  :)

Tallacrappy is the only word I need to describe the home of FSU.  ;D