Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Texas-Austin  (Read 988 times)

amelliot

• View Profile
Re: University of Texas-Austin
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 08:39:34 PM »
Wow this new admissions policy at UT is exciting stuff.  I'm an out of stater headed to UT this fall so I'm a little biased, but you have got to think that UT has a great chance at jumping into the T-14 next year with the addition of some more highly qualified out of state candidates.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 07:52:58 PM »
The Median LSAT for UT is a 165 and the median GPA is a 3.62.  The 25/75 GPA is 3.4/3.79 and the 25/75 LSAT is 161/167.  According to LSAC, 84 people applied with similar stats to your stats and 0 of them were admitted.
Here is the link:
http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac6882.pdf

I think ElizaB meant that info for the first poster in the topic with the 149 LSAT.

And those numbers are similar to several other schools I was admitted to.

TXNtrio was correct...I was directing my post toward the OP.
Attending: Texas

Texex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »
Here is something else that Texas got into the Appropriations Bill:

"5. The University of Texas at Austin School of Law Enrollment. It is the intent of the
Legislature that The University of Texas at Austin study the impact that enrollment levels have on the quality of education at the University's Law School. The University shall make recommendations on the optimal enrollment level at which the school can provide the highest quality education. The University shall submit a report to the 80th Legislature, not later than January 1, 2007. It is the intent of the Legislature that a limitation on enrollment not adversely impact current funding levels."

I'm sure that UT Law School will recommend an enrollment level substanitally less than the current level (425 - 450).  There is no other reason UT would have gone through all the trouble to get this provision into the bill.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 10:58:24 PM »
So will this affect the entering class of fall '06 or will it only affect 2007 and beyond?  Between this and the Supreme Court striking down the Hopwood decision, I imagine that there are going to be quite a few changes in UT Law's admissions.

Speaking of UT, did anyone see the 60 minutes special on the Texas top ten percent bill?  It interviewed the UT president and two UT students (one that had been accepted in the top 10 percent and one that was not in the top ten percent and had been rejected)...I found it interesting to say the least. 
Attending: Texas

Texex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 11:07:26 PM »
The increse in nonresident enrollment affects the class entering in 2006.  Any change in the class size will occur with the class entering in 2007 or later.

Here is the language for the nonresident limitation:

Sec. 13. Limitation of Nonresident Enrollment in Certain State-supported Professional Schools.
1. None of the funds appropriated by this Act may be expended for the establishment,
operation, or maintenance, or for the payment of any salaries to the employees in, any
wholly or partially state-supported medical, dental, or law school which: (a) imposes a
limitation on the number of students that it admits, (b) in an academic semester denies
admission to one or more Texas residents who apply for admission and who reasonably
demonstrate that they are probably capable of doing the quality of work that is necessary to obtain the usual degree awarded by such school, and (c) in the same academic semester admits, as either class, nonresidents of the State of Texas in a number greater than 10 percent of the class of which such nonresidents are a part. Limitation of nonresident enrollment at The University of Texas Law School, Texas Tech University School of Law, and the University of Houston Law Center may be increased to 35 percent of the class of which nonresidents are a part provided that the admission of such nonresident students is on the basis of academic merit alone. By the provisions of this paragraph it is intended to withhold funds appropriated by this Act from state-supported medical, dental, and law schools which limit their enrollments and which fill more than 10 percent of their classes with non-resident students in the case of medical and dental schools, and 35 percent in the case of The University of Texas Law School, Texas Tech University Law School and the University of Houston Law Center, when the result of admitting a nonresident denies admission to a qualified Texas applicant. This provision shall not apply to the funds appropriated to the Coordinating Board for the funding of Baylor College of Medicine or to funds appropriated for tuition equalization grants for students attending private colleges.

Texex

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 11:12:24 PM »
The part that says "provided that the admission of such nonresident students is on the basis of academic merit alone"  makes me wonder if UT can have nonresident AA admits.

Texex

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 11:18:34 PM »
Apparently they are upping the amount of nonresident admissions to 35% from 20%.

Ahhh #@!* me!! Are you serious???  When are they doing this?  Did I just miss it by one admissions cycle??  UT was my top choice and I honestly believe I would hve had a great shot if my out-of-state residency didn't kill me so much!

It is supposed to go into effect for the 2006 admission cycle.  It still has to be signed by Governor Perry, but that seems to be just a technicality.  Apparently it's already a done deal.  It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm in-state so it will make it a bit harder for me, but better for any non-residents.  UT is far and away my top choice as well, my gpa is pretty high, but I don't know if I can get my LSAT numbers as high as yours. Hopefully, this new policy won't f**k everything up for me.  I figured before that a 163-165 might give me a pretty good chance with my gpa, but who knows now. 

Perry can only use the line item veto on provisions in the Appropriations Bill that actually appropriate money.  Since the provision limiting nonresident enrollment does not appropriate funds, Perry cannot use the line item veto.