Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted off UofA waitlist... now what do I do??  (Read 4507 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted off UofA waitlist... now what do I do??
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2005, 06:20:10 AM »
First, if you look back at my post... I never said "anti-ASU bias" or anything of the sort.  What I said was, "Interesting... you seem more than a bit biased toward UofA".

I'm done... this is like feeding caviar to a donkey.

"It seems to me that you are intent on denigrating ASU, offering numbers that are not entirely accurate to make ASU seem worse than it actually is. "

Your arguments may be valid; they may not be valid.  I wouldn't know because your tone is so condescending and hateful that I don't take the time to think about them.  You seem to see yourself as some kind of master of verbal jousting, but you need to realize that you will never change any opinions if nobody wants to listen to you.

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2005, 10:56:12 AM »
Why so much bickering everyone? Both ASU and U of A are good schools.By graduating from either one, one will be OK to practice in Phoenix. This whole U of A and ASU rivalry is old. Instead of ganging up on each other, we should all try to get along, especially since for when we graduate, a large percentage of us will be working side by side at firms in Phoenix.

I agree.  I am done with this pointless controversy.

I'm done...

I'll take this as meaning that you are also done.

I will make the decision about which school to attend based on my own considerations.

Thanks everyone for the useful input and perspectives about both schools.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2005, 06:26:55 PM »
Geni - I posted a reply pretty far back, before AZWildcat had begun his little tirade and honestly, I wanted to commend you on being so mature and not biting when he was clearly baiting you to attack him back.  I think you sound very intelligent and will defiitley do well wherever you choose.  Good luck to you in making your decision.

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2005, 08:14:56 PM »
Geni - I posted a reply pretty far back, before AZWildcat had begun his little tirade and honestly, I wanted to commend you on being so mature and not biting when he was clearly baiting you to attack him back. I think you sound very intelligent and will defiitley do well wherever you choose. Good luck to you in making your decision.

laur0212,

Thank you for such a nice comment. 

I agree with your point that ASU has a lot to offer... their clinical programs and externship opportunities really do sound great. 

I also think being so close to Phoenix does make a very real difference... especially for summer positions or part-time positions as a 2L or 3L.  I certainly can't relocate my family to Tucson for each school year and then back to Phoenix every summer... that would be crazy and completely unworkable - my husband can't switch jobs twice a year.  It might be totally different if I was single and had no kids.  From UofA's website it appears that the majority of summer positions available are in Phoenix (although there are several in Tucson).  It would really limit me to only be able to accept those summer positions that are in Tucson.  Since many permanent job offers come from 2L summer positions - I would also end up being limited in my future prospects.   

The more I consider it, the stronger my inclination is to stick with ASU... but I am still weighing the pros and cons of each school.  Staying put would be much simpler in so many ways. 

Thanks for the input, laur - good luck at Rutgers!  I can't say that I blame you for sticking close to home... it is so much simpler that way!

Thanks,
Geni

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »
Go with whatever you think is going to make you happy.  If your husband is willing to move and you really want to do it, then that's great for you.  I see your point about the summer positions mostly being in Phoenix and not being able to move your family twice a year...no matter what anyone says, I truly believe that one of the biggest advantages to going to school at ASU is that you're right next to the capital city.  A lot of people on this board don't seem to realize how many entering students are not recent college grads without anything holding them back from going wherever they want to, even if its really far away.  That's too bad for them, because I also don't think they realize how much they'll be able to learn from someone like you, who has done something in their life besides go straight from high school to college to law school.  I've only taken a year off after college, but personally, I think the place you're coming from in your life probably gives you a bit of an advantage coming into school...you've had the time to figure out for sure that this is what you want to do with your life and you've had experiences that too many of us can't even begin to imagine. 

By the way, what's the weather like out there right now?  I was in Phoenix in January and kept thinking to myself "I can't believe its the middle of January and I'm walking around in shorts and a t-shirt!"  It was great...but sucked when the plane landed back in Philly and there was SNOW on the ground.  That'll take you back to reality really quickly, huh?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2005, 12:38:06 AM »
I can tell you that today, in Tucson at least, it was too hot.  It has been for the last few weeks or so.  Arizona isn't the temperate California.  For eight/nine months of the year it is beautiful, but these summers get hot.  The can't-touch-the-steering-wheel, air-conditioning-can't-quite-overpower-the-heat days can be killers.  It's probably still better than snow though.

As far as your decision, if I had to choose for you based off of only the info in this thread, I would choose ASU.  I do believe that UofA is a better school.  I also believe that the current minor reputation and ranking difference between the two schools understates the direction in which the schools are going in the future.  Both schools are likely rising stars in the long run, but it will be UofA's overall reputation as a spectacular graduate and research institution that will someday take it into the upper echelon of schools.  My alumni pride forces me to believe this, but I am willingly forced.

Even if I am right, however, this will not affect your job search in the near future.  Good grades at ASU will net you a good job in Arizona.  They will probably net you the same job you would get with the same grades from UofA.  If you had said you wanted to live in any other state than Arizona, I would choose UofA.  In Arizona, in the near future, however, it's a wash, so don't move your family and go to ASU.

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2005, 02:21:26 PM »
I am about 99.9% sure that I will end up at ASU.  I would be quite happy going to UA but, in the long run, I think ASU makes more sense for me, given my particular circumstances. 

Even though we wouldn't mind living in Tucson, planning a move with less than two months to go would be really tough for my family... while going to ASU would be soooo much simpler.  If I were to move, hubby would need to make sure that he could transfer to the Tucson office (i.e. is there even a current opening there?).  Also we'd have to pack up everything (no small task with five people's worth of stuff), sell our home, find an affordable place to live in Tucson, find daycare, register the kids for school (not to mention back-to-school shopping still to do for them), and try to get unpacked and at least a little settled all before orientation.  All that in addition to the regular stuff that has to be done before school starts (like registering, dealing with financial aid, getting a parking decal, etc). 

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments.  I feel good about ASU... I think it will be a very good school for me and I know that its location near Phoenix will be a definite plus as far as summer positions. 

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2005, 02:33:36 PM »
By the way, what's the weather like out there right now?  I was in Phoenix in January and kept thinking to myself "I can't believe its the middle of January and I'm walking around in shorts and a t-shirt!"  It was great...but sucked when the plane landed back in Philly and there was SNOW on the ground.  That'll take you back to reality really quickly, huh?

The weather is VERY hot in Phoenix.  By this afternoon it will probably be almost 110 degrees. :o 

January is shorts weather, but summer is stay-inside-as-much-as-possible weather.  I usually try to go outside only in the morning or in the evening if at all possible. ;)   

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2005, 05:30:36 PM »
Ah...I vacationed in Scottsdale last August, I think it was actually a pretty mild week...only about 105 most days.  Coming from NJ with all its humidity though, I love the Arizona heat because its DRY.  Even when its only 95 here, there's 95% humidity making it feel like its well over 100, and it's sticky and gross.  You can take a shower and feel all refreshed and then go outside and within a minute feel like you haven't showered in a week.  I'll take the Arizona heat anyday compared to humid weather.  I could see how 110 every day could get kind of old though.  Guess one day I'll have to try it out for myself.