Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted off UofA waitlist... now what do I do??  (Read 4619 times)

Jiffy

• View Profile
Re: Accepted off UofA waitlist... now what do I do??
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
Nice post, Windtalker :)

Ah, AZWildcat, thanks.  I haven't been called "kid" in at least 20 years.  Maybe more. 

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2005, 07:37:49 PM »
Nice post, Windtalker :)

Ah, AZWildcat, thanks.  I haven't been called "kid" in at least 20 years.  Maybe more. 

I haven't read that much fiction since the last Harry Potter. :)
USD 2L

Jiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2005, 07:42:37 PM »
 ???

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2005, 07:44:01 PM »
You do need to be spoken to in such a manner because, much like children, you do not get it.  Your "points" are childish, so my response is written in turn.  I tried to help you with good, informative information, but you chose to attack me with your "you're just biased against ASU" BS position.  Smart people listen and evaluate-- you simply get defensive.

Who is attacking whom?  Saying someone is biased is not an attack, but simply an observation.  You obviously prefer UofA, which is your bias.  That is not a bad thing... we all have our individual biases.  It is just where you are coming from in this discussion.  I should point out, too... I went to ASU for undergrad... so I am also biased!  

Implying that I am childish and stupid, on the other hand, is certainly an attack.  I don't agree that my points are childish.  As a mom of 3 kids, I'm pretty knowledgable about what is childish...  Discussing my options and trying to determine the best course of action is hardly childish.  Calling my intelligence into question is a fairly childish approach, in my opinion.  Obviously I am intelligent enough to be accepted to some decent schools, as are you.

I purchased the USNWR premium edition, and I was even able to eat later that night. 
I don't quite know how to respond to this comment.  Are you saying that I can't afford the premium edition?  Are you bragging that you can?  If I was poor and you were rich, would that somehow make you better than me?  

For you, I would recommend ASU; you'll have a better chance of staying in school.

You know nothing about me, yet you think you do.  

Geni,

The decision between UofA and ASU is not an easy one because the differences are small.  I went through the same list of variables, and at the end, there were positives in both schools.  Each decision is personal and should be tailored to YOUR needs rather than looking at an expansive list.

First point to consider: The most excellent student will be successful in either school.  The extremely unprepared student will sink in either school.  The differences between schools will most probably be noticed by the people in the middle.  

Second point to consider:  No matter what school you pick, you will have to study in large doses to get to the point where YOU make the decision on what you will do after law school. (rather than leaving it to the winds of chance and blind luck).

Third point to consider:  If still unsure or in the fence, choose the decision of least regret.  You do not want to go through law school thinking..."I should have been somewhere else."  That is terrible for the psyche and you don't need that.  Pick three things you like about your choice, memorize them and move on.  You should feel good about where you are.

Windwalker,

Thank you for the great post... it is very helpful to get positive perspectives on this difficult decision process.

Show of hands from everyone attending U of A that hopes AZWildcat chooses USD. I understand school pride. I understand hard numbers. I do not understand asshattedness.

Jiffy,

;D  Some people seem to lack in the social graces.  Despite that, I do appreciate AZWilcat's enthusiasm for UofA.  I know it is a great school and I am honored to have been offered a position in its entering class.  I am also equally honored to have been accepted at ASU, and if he doesn't understand that, it really doesn't matter.      

Jiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2005, 08:02:56 PM »
Hey, Geni, let me know if you decide to come to U of A.  We old moms gotta stick together ;)

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2005, 08:32:55 PM »

Who is attacking whom?  Saying someone is biased is not an attack, but simply an observation.  You obviously prefer UofA, which is your bias.  That is not a bad thing... we all have our individual biases.  It is just where you are coming from in this discussion.  I should point out, too... I went to ASU for undergrad... so I am also biased!  

I don't know why I'm replying to this.. maybe I like beating my head on the wall? :)  Saying I have a U of A bias is correct; saying that I have an anti ASU bias is patently false-- see the difference?  If you were choosing between UNM and ASU, I'd tell you ASU.  Also, please review my posts where I suggested on countless occasions that if the area is important to you, go to ASU.  I may very well make a choice to go to an inferior school (USD) because of location!  I know how that goes and can understand that decision.  My point was, and still is, you're kidding yourself to think that ASU is Arizona's academic peer, in Phoenix or out of it.  The data, my observations, and other people's observations back those points up.

Implying that I am childish and stupid, on the other hand, is certainly an attack.  I don't agree that my points are childish.  As a mom of 3 kids, I'm pretty knowledgable about what is childish...  Discussing my options and trying to determine the best course of action is hardly childish.  Calling my intelligence into question is a fairly childish approach, in my opinion.  Obviously I am intelligent enough to be accepted to some decent schools, as are you.

It is childish of me, but when I have to connect the dots for you, I'm not sure how to react.  Using the "you look at US News!" as though it was some Matlock moment was pathetic.  I acted in step. 

I purchased the USNWR premium edition, and I was even able to eat later that night. 
I don't quite know how to respond to this comment.  Are you saying that I can't afford the premium edition?  Are you bragging that you can?  If I was poor and you were rich, would that somehow make you better than me?  

See, this is another connect the dots topic.  I have to spell everything out for you.  What the comment means is purchasing the report did not impact my lifestyle.  I did not purchase it as a guide of where to go to school, but rather as a database that's worth a half of tank of gas.  You were arguing that my premium membership somehow impeached my earlier "US News rankings are worthless" comment which is moronic.  My above comment was in support of that stupid conclusion.  If, however, you want to feel defensive and think the comment is about you having no money, I'm not surprised...  You seem to live life in a defensive posture. 

For you, I would recommend ASU; you'll have a better chance of staying in school.

You know nothing about me, yet you think you do.  

You can hide behind that if you want, but through your words and actions, you tell everyone who you are and what you're about; I simply read it and interpret it.  The fact that I have to lay out every comment I make in 2nd grade English tells me all that  I need to know.

Some people seem to lack in the social graces.  Despite that, I do appreciate AZWilcat's enthusiasm for UofA.  I know it is a great school and I am honored to have been offered a position in its entering class.  I am also equally honored to have been accepted at ASU, and if he doesn't understand that, it really doesn't matter.      

::)
USD 2L

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2005, 11:46:08 PM »
First, if you look back at my post... I never said "anti-ASU bias" or anything of the sort.  What I said was, "Interesting... you seem more than a bit biased toward UofA".

I did point out in my original post that staying in Phoenix would mean not having to relocate my family - so obviously the location is one of many considerations.  I never said that ASU and UofA were academic equivalents of one another... if you read my posts, I have stated several times that UofA is a great school.  Why do you keep acting like I think UofA sucks? (I don't)

Second, nobody anywhere on here had suggested that the cost of a premium membership ( ::)) would impact anyone's lifestyle... so you bringing it up in that manner just seemed obnoxious, which is why I wanted to highlight your comment.  I, like most middle class adults, could afford a premium membership if I wanted one - I don't see the point though.  Why throw good money out on it when the vast majority of the information is available from the schools themselves at no cost whatsoever.  Waste not, want not... as the saying goes.  Anyway, I'm glad this purchase did not impact your lifestyle.

Finally, because I offered statistics that didn't agree with your numbers, you have decided that I am somehow inferior and worthy of insult.  It is interesting to note that those who cannot rest on the strengths of their own argument often resort to hurling insults as a way to distract attention from the weaknesses of their rhetoric.  I have no problem with people who feel differently than I do... but being insulting only shows that you are the one in defensive mode.  I'm afraid that you will discover that people tend to lose respect for those who cannot be civil despite a disagreement.  In a court of law, you cannot call opposing counsel childish or stupid simply because they offer evidence that contradicts your own exhibits. 

I have not attacked you, yet you have responded to my difference of opinion with venom and basically said I am a stupid child.  That is a very mature approach, my friend, and I'm sure it will garner the highest respect for your professionalism.  ::) 

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2005, 11:47:11 PM »
Hey, Geni, let me know if you decide to come to U of A.  We old moms gotta stick together ;)

Jiffy,
Thanks... I'll definitely let you know!
Geni

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2005, 02:00:21 AM »
Why so much bickering everyone? Both ASU and U of A are good schools.By graduating from either one, one will be OK to practice in Phoenix. This whole U of A and ASU rivalry is old. Instead of ganging up on each other, we should all try to get along, especially since for when we graduate, a large percentage of us will be working side by side at firms in Phoenix.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2005, 03:57:30 AM »
First, if you look back at my post... I never said "anti-ASU bias" or anything of the sort.  What I said was, "Interesting... you seem more than a bit biased toward UofA".

I'm done... this is like feeding caviar to a donkey.

"It seems to me that you are intent on denigrating ASU, offering numbers that are not entirely accurate to make ASU seem worse than it actually is. "
USD 2L