Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Native Speakers  (Read 2278 times)

rallygrig

• ICQ Messenger - 105975766
    • View Profile
    • Email
Non-Native Speakers
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:28:49 PM »
Hello,
Is anyone out there studying for the LSAT that is not an English native speaker? I am so lost right now, feeling like the only person who not only has to deal with the LSAT maze, but also has to deal with the fact that English is not my first language. My score is just so bad compared to the other obsessed souls out here that I am even afraid to mention it. I have been studying for 6 months now and my score seems to be stuck in one place for the past few weeks. I improved about 6-7 points from the first time I took the test, but this is still very unsatisfactory for me. My freaking GPA from a first tier university is 3.78, but the LSAT is killing me. Do you guys have the same problem???

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non-Native Speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 08:45:24 PM »
I'm not a native speaker either. LR is easy. RC is so tiring but I can manage it if I am energetic and am able to concentrate. The most difficult section to me is games. I don't think that has anything to do with English.

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »
I'm also foreign educated. No GPA, which makes LSAT the only number to use for application.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:03:25 PM »
rally, I'm not a native speaker (Spanish). I found the LSAT a little tougher than most. My family spoke Spanish at home so many words in the English language I have no idea what they mean.

I wouldn't stress out too much since the adcomms know that the LSAT is only a sprint while your GPA is an endurance race. If you tell them you're not a native speaker then it will make more sense that you didn't perform as well as your American counterparts.

Just don't stress too much on test day. As long as you don't get a 120, you're good.

rallygrig

• ICQ Messenger - 105975766
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:05:23 PM »
TimZ - don't worry - they will evaluate your transcripts regardless of whether you attended a US school. Just keep on working with the sections. Games is also the most difficult for me, but so is for most other test takers. LR was my best section. At one point I was averaging 1-2 wrong choices. Right now it is 8-10. I dont' know what is going on. It seems like the latest exams are the most difficult.

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 10:26:13 PM »
Rallygig.. my similar experience may help... I was having the same problem..

RC was my least strongest section when I first started taking practice exams and LR was my best (I was avg. 2-4 wrong per section). Consequently, I really tried to concentrate on improving my RC. Then all of a sudden, I notice my LR scores began to fall dramatically (then avg. 6-7 wrong per section). At first I had no clue what was going on. I toiled and became frustrated. Then (luckily) I realized that I was concentrating so much on my RC approach (looking for main ideas, skimming  details - kind of like seeing the forest instead of the trees) that I unknowingly and unconciously started applying this approach to my LR sections. After this realization, I conciously tried to pay very close attention to detail in the LR (the trees instead of the forest) and my LR has improved again to where I now get 2-3 wrong per section (on the newer tests by the way).

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 02:29:04 AM »
The opposite happened to me. I took preptest without breaks during sections. So when I started a RC section right after a LR one my mind was trying to find flaws from the passage. :-)

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 12:30:20 AM »
I can relate to your problem too...English is a third language for me.  ::) I have a 3.6 GPA at university, which already suggests that English doesn't hold me from succeeding in academic studies. A for the LSAT, the only disadvantage that I have experienced is not reading as fast as the native speakers probably do (or not :-\). But don't worry about not knowing some of the words in the test, the creators of the LSAT deliberately complicated the language by inserting confusing words here and there. Even native speakers don't understand all of those words anyway. Just keep working on the speed of  your reading. Good luck! ;)
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 12:51:35 AM »
I think it really depends on how long you have been speaking English and the extent of your command of the language.  English is my second language as well, but I find that, because I went to college in the States, my understanding of technical language is better in English than it is in my native Russian.  Therefore, the LSAT was much easier for me because it was in English.  I would have flunked miserably if I had to take it in Russian.

Ms. Jones

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 06:42:40 PM »
im also foreign.
agree - it makes things worse! for example - i could solve the game or argument - but it was about some f****g fungus on insect that eats corn, and 3 types of courn, etc. - to cut the story short  its "oh my god!"(c) situation sometimes.