Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer 1 L - need advice, maybe...  (Read 835 times)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Summer 1 L - need advice, maybe...
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »
OK, I posted this message in another section of this board and it received no response as of yet.  So I'll post it here, now.

I'm interested in doing a study abroad program during the summer of 1 L, learning (maybe) about the Chinese legal system, and earning credit for law school.

By doing this, will this impede any possible summer employment during the 2 L Summer (as I will not have any legal work experience from 1 L Summer), and maybe, even indirectly, affect some of my opportunities after I graduate in a negative way?

Second, and I know this is a question for my law school, but do you think it is OK to go for a study abroad program through another law school, and have credits transferred...I know my school will have to accept any arrangements prior to making them...has anyone had any experience or know anything about this...

Any input re: these two questions is greatly appreciated!!

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: Summer 1 L - need advice, maybe...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:07:03 PM »
awww, lstudent,...is this a proprosal to study abroad with me through willamette's shanghai, china study abroad summer program??

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »
Actually, maybe :)... One of the things that drew me to Willamette, the international law program and the study-abroad program.  Another reason I was seriously considering Indiana University, as they have a strong program and study-abroad program in Beijing; I was accepted, but decided I didn't want to live in Indiana...

But, I would like to go to Beijing through the IU program, or Shanghai through Willamette's program...

Let's make joint plans for the summer of 2005, ok :P  Our lives will be inexplicably intertwined; we can't deny destiny! J/K :P
But Shanghai would be a wonderful experience, even if I don't end up focusing on "International Law."

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 07:53:45 AM »
well, i definitely plan to study abroad during 1L Summer. Do you know how difficult it is to get loans for summer programs?  Do you apply separately from loans for the year or what?  I loved my experience in China, and would love to go back...and will strongly consider the Shanghai program b/c of that...however, a big part of me wants to go somewhere where I have not been yet...and there is a study abroad program in Shimla, India that looks very interesting to me.  I think it's sponsored by Touro University or something...