Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Commuting to Orange County from L.A.  (Read 1881 times)

thechoson

Re: Commuting to Orange County from L.A.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 10:02:01 PM »
Cho - sweet love - that's the 101, 5 and 91.  HATE HATE and HATE.  Those are the HATE Highways.

Or are you just trying to get me to post???  :P

any excuse to get you to post, my fair lady.

No, I was considering going to Cal State Fullerton for a masters if i don't go to law school.

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 10:06:53 PM »
I;m off to Vegas baby.  I'll post ya when I get back ... mmm that sounds soooo dirty.
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 10:08:40 PM »
I;m off to Vegas baby.  I'll post ya when I get back ... mmm that sounds soooo dirty.

Have fun, my fair lady. Win lots of dough

tier4bound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 10:10:51 PM »
How about Baldwin Park?  I am moving from DC to CA and will be living in Baldwin Park, but I will have to commute since I am going to subletting a relatives apartment ($500/month for a 2 bedroom apartment).  Mapquest says its only 35 miles, but my house is next to the S605.  Can anyone offer advice on what I should take or just any advice?  Thanks again.

LSD party is going to be ri-DONK-ulous.

See ya.

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 12:25:58 PM »
How about Baldwin Park?  I am moving from DC to CA and will be living in Baldwin Park, but I will have to commute since I am going to subletting a relatives apartment ($500/month for a 2 bedroom apartment).  Mapquest says its only 35 miles, but my house is next to the S605.  Can anyone offer advice on what I should take or just any advice?  Thanks again.

Since I seem to be the queen of The OC here -- I can try and help you ...

Good News:  If you are commuting to Fullerton - you can pretty much hop the 605 to the 60 -- and not spend too much time on either of them.  Neither are classified by ME as being HATE highways -- (during drive time they can all be a little unbearable ... but you know ... skip drive time if you can - that's 6am-9am and 5-7pm), so you're all good.

Bad News: If you are commuting to Whittier in Costa Mesa ... you take a nastier section of the 605 (a corridor used by alot of commuters) to the the most HATED section of the 405 (the "orange crush" area) -- basically the first stretch of Orange County on the 405.  It's crowded most of the time (especially during drive time), chock full o' assholes who think reading the newspaper and applying mascara go hand in hand with cell phone usage and driving and goes through the "Euclid/Fountain Valley" exit which to me is the "bermuda triangle" of traffic (always seems to be an accident and random slowing for no reason). 

If you are going to UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, Southwestern, Loyola -- well, they're scattered all about LA, so it's tough to tell, but the 10 or 101 is probably in your future ...

If you want to know what traffic looks like on a normal day -- pick the time you think you will commuting (and don't forget the time difference,  my fellow soon to be former east coaster) and log on to www.sigalert.com - you can click on "MAPS" or "SPEEDS", find the freeway you want (in your case, the 605 South and the 405 South for Whittier; 605, 60 for Western) and you can see what the speeds are at that exact time.

Also, become really familiar with Mike Nolan, KFI in the  SKY, the traffic reporter on 640 am, a great traffic dude and all around cool guy (my friend works at KFI so I have to give them a shout out) -- and when he tells you the 405 is jammed for no apparent reason -- then cheer, cause he's like the weatherman when it comes to the 405, when he says it's gonna be raining, get out your bikini!
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

kaligrrl79

• AOL Instant Messenger - kaligrrl79
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 12:41:32 PM »
hahaha...that is so funny and so true! I can always count on it being the opposite of whatever he says. Sometimes I wonder if he's just wasted and is guessing.

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »
He is a funny guy -- I'm not sure what his deal is -- but he's so much better than Ginger Chan.  Oh she's terrible.  I'm bummed when Mike has the day off.

But you know, all traffic people on the radio in So Cal get their info from Mike.  He's like the traffic guru.  But he's always wrong about the 405... I'll ask him about that!

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 01:13:28 PM »
man, commuting to the OC from L.A...i don't know how you californians do it....

i hate driving even in tiny ass minneapolis  :D

thechoson

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »
man, commuting to the OC from L.A...i don't know how you californians do it....

i hate driving even in tiny ass minneapolis  :D

LA pretty much sucks.  The only thing that makes it worthwhile is the Japanese food and the Korean girls

bobfett33

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 04:44:15 PM »
Cho - sweet love - that's the 101, 5 and 91.  HATE HATE and HATE.  Those are the HATE Highways.

Or are you just trying to get me to post???  :P

If you're going to Cal State Fullerton or Western State University, the 57 may be in your future, as well.  It can be ass-rotten, but not as bad as the f-ing 91.