Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: the best LSAT books/prep courses..... ???  (Read 477 times)

JuliePanic

• View Profile
    • Email
the best LSAT books/prep courses..... ???
« on: June 15, 2005, 11:59:30 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about taking the LSAT and i want to start preparing as soon as possible. The problem is, i don't know which LSAT books to read or prep courses i should be taking. I was wondering if any of you successful law students have any suggestions, like which books, etc helped you get a respectable LSAT score (168 or higher) or which prep courses led to getting into law school.

If anyone can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it!

Julie

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: the best LSAT books/prep courses..... ???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
I hear that Kaplan is horrible but i have never taken the course. I did take Princetone Review and that course was very helpful with the games but my LR and RC instructor was horrible. I ended up getting the Powerscore LR bible and that was by far better than the instructor. However, i guess it depends a lot on the teacher but the Powerscore LR bible was very helpful. Good luck.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

theunderdog

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 12:09:07 PM »
I've studied/researched the LSAT since February and I'm currently in a prep course. These would be my recommendations for books/courses:

Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible and Logic Games Bible (www.powerscore.com)
[these are the best books on the market and will help you build a great LSAT foundation]

TestMasters180.com
[they updated their curriculum/coursebooks to prepare you for the more challenging questions, harder RC passages, etc.]

PrepTests
[go to LSAC.org and order as many PrepTests you can get your hands on and practice these, after you learn all the methodologies]

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
Anyone think it's kind of funny to limit the term "respectable score" to the 97th percentile?   

modernlifeiswar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »
indeed, especially coming from someone who is "thinking about taking the lsat". Better start studying if you want to get that respectable score!

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 02:26:41 PM »
In terms of courses, TestMasters (TestMasters180 on the net) and Powerscore are the best.  I wouldn't take any other courses, except maybe another TestMasters spinoff like BluePrintPrep.

In terms of self-prep, the LGBible and LRBible from Powerscore are strongly recommended by most students.  However, I would start out with a basic Kaplan book just so you can get an initial overview of the exam.  This isn't sufficient in itself, but will give you a nice broad overview before you jump into greater detail.  

And you should definitely work through a number of practice exams (at least 15).  However, when ordering these, I would go through www.Amazon.com for the books of 10, as they are $10 cheaper there, and provide rush delivery.  I would order the most recent individual exams from www.Powerscore.com, as they also provide rush delivery.  I would NOT order anything through LSAC.org, as they charge more for the books, have no express delivery options, and often take forever to deliver.