Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any future Boston College 1Ls want to chat?  (Read 2416 times)

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any future Boston College 1Ls want to chat?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »
hey i just did my agora stuff. mine is last name only one first letter, my undergrad did the same thing. you got two first letters b/c someone else must have your same last name and first letter already.

i also wanted to mention that they said they would be compliling a "suggested reading list".

is bc the only school that doesn't require criminal law in its first year repertoire? i looked around at harvard, george washington, george mason... saw they had crim law but not bc?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 11:52:39 AM »
damn! i hate whoever took my email address  :)

well, i guess it doesnt matter too much since im just using the bc account as a forwarding email address.

and what classes do we take 1st semester? if we dont take criminal law, do we take another clas instead? or do we just end up taking one less class than the other schools? ive been trying to figure out what my class schedule will be like? if you log into agora you can check out the class list/schedule for next year.

also, did you get a pamphlet in the mail along with the agora info or just that one piece of paper?

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 12:53:06 PM »
glad to see i wasn't the only one wondering what "pamphlet" they were referencing.

judging from the schedule it looks like we will be taking torts, civ proc, property, contracts and legal reasoning

2nd semester it looks like its legal reasoning, constitutional, intro to lawyering, and  property

i called and they said crim law is not required. i am curious as to why since it seems standard...

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 01:22:34 PM »
so does anyone know when the rest of the info is coming? like the summer reading list, all the orientation info, etc...

and wait... im confused about our class schedule... how many classes do we take each semester? is it 5 and then 4?

my understanding:

1st semester:
torts
civ procedure
property
contracts
legal reasoning/research/writing

2nd semester:
con law
intro to lawyering
property
legal reasoning/research/writing

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »
yes that is what it seems from looking at the fall and spring schedules.

they say the info would be out in the next few weeks. as for the suggested reading it seemed as though it is something they are doing in response to some requests so i don't know if that would be done as quickly since they are deinately more of the enjoy your summer off and see you on august 31st types.

the rising 2L i met suggested the book getting to maybe but said to get it when school starts b/c it won't make sense before.

also they said that if you ahve to sign a lease for september 1st they will find accomodations for you for the 31st like having you stay at another students place.

one thing that really stood out to me was the fact that they were offering to take people to the main campus for the housing fair. they asked people to give rides to each other those with cars to those without and then they said and anyone who still doesn't have a ride, well we will be happy to take you over.

honest to goodness this is one of the things that swayed me to bc. i had previously planned to go to gw but they were not kind to me with aid even after i appealed yet bc was very accomodating to me and gave me a quick turn around allowed for the fact that i have a child whereas i had to formall appeal with gw for them to even increase my budget.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 02:42:36 PM »
yeah, i definitely hear you... i was trying to decide between bu and bc. i spoke to a few people when i was visiting bu and they were all nice enough. but then i toured bc and literally EVERY PERSON i saw stopped and asked me if i was looking at the school and how i liked it and if they could answer questions for me. it was such a shock to my system that i almost went to bu! (i was expecting a paper chase/kill-or-be-killed type environment, not a school where people were actually NICE to each other and people were actually happy!).

but yeah, i cant even tell you how excited i am about goign to bc. 1) im looking forward to studying the law but 2) i cant wait to study it at a place where ill actually enjoy law school.

also, moving back to boston is a HUGE bonus for me.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2004, 02:44:16 PM »
and by the way... nice job, people, on making this bc discussion board a "hot topic" (ie more than 25 posts).

way to represent  ;)

moxygal

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 07:46:38 PM »
i got my agora stuff today! the email address looks weird though, it's my last name without the last letter (for some reason) with the first letter of my first name. is that what everyone's is like? also, did you guys notice the "suggested reading list" was kind of all over the place? like clearly someone was typing that up fast and made some typos. just thought it was weird.

oooh and eee, i ordered leews, and have listened to the first tape. i like it so far- it explains everything in a direct and simple way, and actually tells you a "method" for taking issue-spotting exams (which i think most law school exams are). it isn't any kind of "get As with no work" scheme, you do have to work and practice at the skill along with learning the appropriate black letter law in class and by reading cases, etc. It basically says most law students can learn the law just fine, they just get lost when it comes to how to go about writing exams, since most people haven't been faced with these "hypothetical" exams before. Having said that, he does say on the tape that those with a math/science/engineering exam do tend to have a little bit of an easier time with exams, since they are kind of similar to math etc. type problems. so you may be all set for being familiar with this type of exam!

i don't know, the tapes and book that goes with it all together were 135 bucks, cheaper if you can get them on ebay. not too bad. i think it's worth a shot.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 11:41:19 PM »
whoooo... good! i wanted someone to talk to about LEEWS!

so, im thinking about getting the tapes... but my question is: is this whole thing just a way to take tests? or does it also force you into a certain note-taking style, briefing style, etc...

basically, can i still study the way i want to study (just with more understanding of what the end result will be, ie the test), or am i missing the whole point of the LEEWS philosophy if i dont also use their note-taking, briefing, outlining, etc... recommendations?

moxygal

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »
im at work so i gotta be quick! leews (from what i know so far) is just about test taking. nothing about taking notes, briefing, outlining, etc. it's all about the exam. sounds like you learn the black letter law through the semester (by doing your own way of outlining, etc) and use leews to organize all that info in your head into the kind of format/exam answer that profs want.