Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW or UCLA  (Read 1760 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW or UCLA
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »
Unless you know you want to go east, go to UCLA.

This seems to be the prevailing opinion.  I don't know that I want to go east, and I have a lot of family and friends out here in CA/AZ/NV, so I am going to UCLA.

Thanks for the help!  (Now go over to my thread in the Accepted and Decided area and help me find a place to live.)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 09:07:13 PM »
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2005, 09:19:36 PM »

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 12:28:11 AM »
haha, just some friendly teasing ;) it seems like an inevitability between a trojan and a bruin

yeah that bball loss was crappy, i was rooting for 'zona

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 12:33:02 AM »
haha, just some friendly teasing ;) it seems like an inevitability between a trojan and a bruin

I had actually stopped watching the game at that point.

It will take me a while to get used to being a bruin.  My dad went to USC for undergrad and dental, so shouting at the TV was a common occurance during Trojan vs. Bruin games.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 12:43:41 AM »

I had actually stopped watching the game at that point.

It will take me a while to get used to being a bruin.  My dad went to USC for undergrad and dental, so shouting at the TV was a common occurance during Trojan vs. Bruin games.
yeah the rivalry is pretty intense.

eh, some of my friends and I are going to the UCLA v OU game and are going to boo both teams

Julee Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 04:40:59 AM »
177 and a 3.33, how come you aren't deciding upon more prestigious schools? Not to be insulting, but you have some strong stats, so I wonder why these two school (which aren't bad schools by any means)?

That is an easy one.  Late apps and two years of being unemployed after college.  When I first decided to try for law school a year ago, my goal was USD.  If I could get into USD, I would be so incredibly happy.  I had a mediocre GPA at an okay undergrad, and I had done nothing impressive either during or after college.  My LSAT was the only strong part of my application.  (My personal statement was good as well.)  Being able to choose between UCLA and GW is more than I ever hoped for.

First off, definitely UCLA over GW.  UCLA is probably the best school outside the top 14, with the possible exception of Texas, and would be my first choice outside the top 14.  (I might even take it over Gtown, NU, Cornell or Duke.)  I also think it has a better location.

However, while you may have already accepted the UCLA offer, the best advice I could give you would be to wait and reapply early next year.  With your numbers (and major) you're essentially guaranteed admission to a T-14 program (probably top 10), and most of these have great debt forgiveness programs.  (Important if you want to be a PD.)  On the other hand, you'll probably get scholarship money if you apply early to UCLA (or similar schools).  You could definitely get a full-ride somewhere in the top 25. 

Your LSAT isn't strong -- it's incredible.  The ONLY reason you didn't get into more schools is because you applied late.  (Assuming you don't have a felony conviction.)  As far as being unemployed, you can always say you were traveling, or make up some other interesting story. 

And your subjective assessment of where you felt you would get in (USD, etc.), is completely irrelevant.  The bottom line is, you can get into better programs, and can probably get scholarship money from UCLA.

Therefore, unless you're already committed, or love UCLA to the extent you prefer it over T14 programs, and aren't willing to wait another year to start, I'd wait and reapply early. 
goooooo al qaeda!  gooooooo bin laden!  go, go, osama bin laden!

never mind all people you killing senselessly--that just more that silly conservative thinking.  what important is scooter libby and cheney's former employers.  beeeeeeee substantive!

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 07:40:18 PM »
I think Mike "Pass Me the Pill" Williams would like to weigh in on this discussion

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 08:46:47 PM »
How tall is little Ricky? Man, he got beat down BAD!

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2005, 02:58:58 AM »
Great school choices. Congrats. Let's talk about what kind of law you'd want to pracice. If int'l or immigration law, GW (b/c of it's location). If tax law, UCLA (but idk much about UCLA, so you'd have to look at their other key programs. I'm just quoting based on location & my limited knowlege). For big law, etc you could go either way & would probably want to look at other factors (quality of life, avg starting salary, tuition, proximity to have, etc). Good luck. That's a great decision to have.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...