Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW or UCLA  (Read 1754 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GW or UCLA
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »
I had already been accepted to GW, but today I got a phone call saying that there was a good chance that I would be accepted to UCLA off of the wait list later this week.  Putting aside all issues of money (tuition, living expenses, scholarships, etc.), which school should I choose?

I have no idea where I want to live after law school as long as it is in or very near a large city.  I also am not quite sure what type of law I want to practice, but I am fairly certain that I don't want to work in a big law firm.  I have actually been leaning toward becoming a PD.

Help please!  If you need any other information, just ask.   

amuhtar

• View Profile
Re: GW or UCLA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:42:35 PM »
Can you please elaborate on the phonecall? I'm a waitlisted UCLA applicant as well. Curious how you found that out?

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 07:49:56 PM »
I thought UCLA was over enrolled?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:53:47 PM »
Can you please elaborate on the phonecall? I'm a waitlisted UCLA applicant as well. Curious how you found that out?

They called me to tell me that spots will likely be opening up at the end of this week, and if they do, they will likely be offering me admission.  She was making sure that I was still interested in attending and hadn't already moved or anything.  I was told that I will probably have a 2-3 day turnaround on accepting their offer.

I thought UCLA was over enrolled?

I don't really know about this.  I can just tell you about the call I got.

amuhtar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:54:52 PM »
Can you post your stats?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 07:58:28 PM »
Can you post you stats?

3.33 GPA (Mathematics/Computer Science/Psychology)
177 LSAT
Applied very late.

amuhtar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 08:04:44 PM »
According to an admissions rep that I spoke with earlier this month they are over-enrolled. However, she did say that she expected people to start moving off the waitlist at the end of June. G'luck Kwertee - and if I were in your shoes I'd def. go to UCLA - although I've lived in L.A. all my life so I might be a bit biased.  ;)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 08:33:27 PM »
According to an admissions rep that I spoke with earlier this month they are over-enrolled. However, she did say that she expected people to start moving off the waitlist at the end of June. G'luck Kwertee - and if I were in your shoes I'd def. go to UCLA - although I've lived in L.A. all my life so I might be a bit biased. ;)

Thanks.  Good luck to you as well.  I will probably take the UCLA offer if I get it. 

Does anybody have an arguement for GW? 
How much am I sacrificing by choosing UCLA over GW if I choose to move to NYC someday?
If I choose to try and transfer up, where are my chances better at?

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »
transfering there is basically no difference.  I would categorize both schools as roughly equal and say go where you can graduate the cheapest.  Mabye better advice would be to visit both and see what you like better.

macheko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 09:20:45 PM »
If you want to be a public defender look at their public interest programs. Both are probably oriented to BigLaw.
You'd also want to look at their loan forgiveness programs, I know GW has some sort of fund for people going into public interest.