Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me the "useful" parts of PLS 2?  (Read 813 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me the "useful" parts of PLS 2?
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:25:42 PM »
So I have read about 100 or so pages of PLS 2 and I can say that I have definately gotten some helpful hints from what I have read.  Unfortunately, I feel as though I have only gotten about five pages worth of useful information out of the 100 pages I have actually read.  The rest seems to be a rant about how unfair law school tests are and how horrible law school is and how everyone who doesn't follow his exact method is going to do horrible in law school and as an attorney unless the are a natural genius of the law. 

Frankly, his book is creating a very high level of anxiety in me and I don't really know if I should even read the rest!  I think I will spend the rest of my summer freaking out instead of relaxing or doing something useful.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the chapters or parts of the book that they found useful.
Attending: Texas

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me the "useful" parts of PLS 2?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:48:22 PM »
Skip to chapter 16.

Most of the rest of the book is the author's rant, in which he spends hundreds of pages outlining the fundamental flaws in the law school process, and convincing you to follow the directions in chapter 16.

If you don't need to hear his whole case, and just want to say, "Fine, I believe you already, now stop ranting and just tell me what to do!" then just read chapter 16.

As a matter of fact, if chapter 16 itself is too much to trudge through, just read the first addendum to chapter 16.

The majority of what you are skipping is only useful to let you know what you've gotten yourself into and to convince you to follow the directions in chapter 16.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »
ditto. read the addendum to 16 and you've mined the best part. Some of the other parts of the book give an interesting (though certainly debatable) point of view. But 16 provides the roster of other books to buy to enable your prep work to begin. That, in the end, is the most useful part of PLS2. It gives you a list of other books to read which will purportedly help you.

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:02:31 PM »
Third to agree. I'm doing the recommended primers for now. I've read PLS 1 and 2. And like everyone said, it's helpful to give you an idea of what you're getting into and how the game is played. But for now, focus on the preparation in chapter 16. There's also a discussion board on yahoo groups for the book.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:37:35 PM »
So I have read about 100 or so pages of PLS 2 and I can say that I have definately gotten some helpful hints from what I have read.  Unfortunately, I feel as though I have only gotten about five pages worth of useful information out of the 100 pages I have actually read.  The rest seems to be a rant about how unfair law school tests are and how horrible law school is and how everyone who doesn't follow his exact method is going to do horrible in law school and as an attorney unless the are a natural genius of the law. 

Frankly, his book is creating a very high level of anxiety in me and I don't really know if I should even read the rest!  I think I will spend the rest of my summer freaking out instead of relaxing or doing something useful.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the chapters or parts of the book that they found useful.

I think you may have gotten through all of the useful parts of the book. At 800+ pages, AF certainly hasn't learned the art of being brief. The book is mostly a rant and is of no use to anyone other than those few persons who think that going to law school will be anything like undergraduate school. Of course, for every law graduate who agrees with him, probably 2 or 3 totally disagree with him, so take his words with a grain of salt.

I agree with him, in part, about preparing for law school by reading the primers. I would not, however, study them to the degree he suggests. I would think by the time you get through with the prep he advises, you'd be SICK OF LAW SCHOOL ALREADY! But, many of his statements about Law School (e.g., don't brief, don't worry about classes, etc.) tend to defy logic, and the opinions of many law school grads.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:17:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!  I will be skipping to chapter 16.  Are their any other chapters worth reading?
Attending: Texas

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 05:54:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!  I will be skipping to chapter 16.  Are their any other chapters worth reading?

The "Muneke See, Muneke Do" chapter, and the chapter regarding the legal fight over ownership of a baseball - those were both particularly memorable to me and worth the read.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 03:37:32 AM »
Well for pre-law, I would recommend 1-16. There are probably 2 chapters that I would skip in that group; but I don't remember which ones they are at the moment. I actually finished it in a week because I actualy found it an interesting read. His rant has mentally prepared me on what to expect and how to approach my classes. because I am sure that if I didn't read this book or any books like it, I would go in with the memorize and regurgitate mode that worked so well for me in undergrad.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 06:43:18 PM »
I know how you feel...I finished PLS 2 sometime in early May but was COMPLETELY overwhelmed by it.  I got four of the primers (with a job that requires overtime, trying to read 4 of them is ambitious...but I don't take Civ Pro until second semester so I might cut back on that one and concentrate on Property, Contracts, and Torts for now) and I feel MUCH better about things.  They're straightforward and have easily understandable explanations.

Skip the rest of the book, photocopy Chapter 16 and its addendum and sell the book to some other unsuspecting schmuck on ebay.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
I know how you feel...I finished PLS 2 sometime in early May but was COMPLETELY overwhelmed by it.  I got four of the primers (with a job that requires overtime, trying to read 4 of them is ambitious...but I don't take Civ Pro until second semester so I might cut back on that one and concentrate on Property, Contracts, and Torts for now) and I feel MUCH better about things.  They're straightforward and have easily understandable explanations.

Skip the rest of the book, photocopy Chapter 16 and its addendum and sell the book to some other unsuspecting schmuck on ebay.

I bought the E&E's for Civ Pro, Prop, Crim, Ks and Torts. I have already learned that I hate Civ Pro and that Crim Law is incredibly frustrating.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae