Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you were in my shoes.....GW vs. Temple  (Read 2193 times)

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: If you were in my shoes.....GW vs. Temple
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 09:30:35 PM »
I went to GW undergrad, too. Thurston Hall... ahhh, the memories.

If Temple doesn't scare the bejeepers out of you, go there for a change of pace. 4 years at GW is enough.

Ah yes, I too once lived in that magical place named Thurston Hall...
I agree a change of pace would be nice, but is it worth it in long run is what I'm wondering.  I do know that if I do go to GW I would definately like to move out to Dupont or around there.  I need a nice 10-15 min walk to get away from campus.

greenjeans

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 11:49:47 PM »
GW

But, keep in mind that this is coming from somebody who is itching to get the heck out of Philadelphia. Besides that, though, I think that GW will keep more doors open for you in the future due to its "more national" reputation.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 11:53:58 PM »
GW, I say.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 12:42:57 AM »
GW has very close to a national reputation.  I live in Michigan and I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find lawyers here who don't know that GW is a darn good school.  It'll get you a great job in Philly, NYC, Boston, and of course DC -- pretty much the whole east coast.  Temple will get you a good job in Philly.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 01:06:57 AM »
All worthy comments, but (let me be a pessimist for a moment), as we've all heard, law school grades can be a bit arbritrary.  So what happens if I ended up in middle of my class at GW?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 01:14:18 AM »
Let's put it this way: 95.4% of GW's grads are employed AT graduation.  And the 25/75 private sector salary is 105k-125k (the vast majority of grad go into the private sector).

So if you were in the middle of your class, it looks like you'd still easily be earning over a hundred grand.

Now if you're in the middle of your class at Temple you're certainly not screwed.  But you'll be doing a lot of footwork to find a good job too.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 07:57:35 AM »
I went to GW undergrad, too. Thurston Hall... ahhh, the memories.

If Temple doesn't scare the bejeepers out of you, go there for a change of pace. 4 years at GW is enough.

Ah yes, I too once lived in that magical place named Thurston Hall...
I agree a change of pace would be nice, but is it worth it in long run is what I'm wondering.  I do know that if I do go to GW I would definately like to move out to Dupont or around there.  I need a nice 10-15 min walk to get away from campus.

Check out the Dupont Circle area first.  There has been a bit of crime there lately (I heard about a recent rash of shootings on the news).  I used to work at an entertainment firm on Dupont Circle in the late 80s (when I was a student at GW).  I had to walk the 10 blocks from F Street up and back daily (when it rained I took the metro).  It'll make you skinny, that's for sure.  I was a go-fer, taking filings to the FCC (on M Street) every day.  I got to know the Fruit Loop quite well and I agree that the houses there are pretty nice.  I also learned that entertainment law is not glamorous at all.  Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

ccorsi

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 09:19:42 AM »
Let's put it this way: 95.4% of GW's grads are employed AT graduation.  And the 25/75 private sector salary is 105k-125k (the vast majority of grad go into the private sector).

So if you were in the middle of your class, it looks like you'd still easily be earning over a hundred grand.

Now if you're in the middle of your class at Temple you're certainly not screwed.  But you'll be doing a lot of footwork to find a good job too.

GW is a very good school, but it isn't national.  The only truly national schools are the T14 and arguably USC, UCLA, & Texas.

If you want to work in Philly you are better off going to Temple because that is what the hiring attorneys here know.  If you want to work in DC, VA, or MD - you are far better off going to GW - no question.

Once you are out of the T14 area the schools are a lot closer than you think.  For instance Yale and the University of Chicago are seperated by 18 overall rating points.  Yet most of you think of them as fairly close institutions because they are only 5 spots away from each other in the placings.  GW and Temple are 19 overall rating points away, but many more places away because of the closeness of the next many schools.

It really is relative.  Saying this school is significantly better than that school is really just hyperbole after the T14 + 3.

C2

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 11:28:41 AM »
I looked at Temple and was also offered some $, but decided against it in the end. Its not that it's a bad school, except for the location in north Philly. My Uncle is a partner at a law firm in downtown Philly, and said that the Philly law firms like taking grads from Philly, but if you want to get your first job anywhere else, its a much tougher sell. Regardless of what's officially a "national school", GW just has a lot more clout and respect in law firms in a greater number of cities. Simply put, if you don't know exactly where you want to end up living and having your career, GW leaves your more options so it's the better bet. If you think you want to be in Philly, Temple is a fine choice. Also note, if you're out of state, while you have the full tuition scholarship for the first year, you don't for the second, and its pretty much impossible to get residency status during the 2nd or 3rd years. Temple's tuition for out of state students is incredibly high-priced, especially considering their national reputation/ranking.

wooshie98

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 11:31:26 AM »
That's a tough call.  I strongly considered GW though I wasn't really feeling it after my visit.  I considered Temple too, as I am a Philly local and was hung up about the money issue.  I think most advice I had said go with the best school you can get into, as a sort of blanket response.  But I have several friends who went/are going to Temple and love it...and who chose it over higher ranked schools (even though who are paying out-of-state tuition to do so).  Are you in-state?  To disagree with someone on the board who said go to the cheaper school if you are interested PI....everything I've heard has said it's even more important to go to the best school possible because good PI jobs tend to be really competitive...as much if not more than some of the big firms.  

Anyway, if you were at GW for 4 years already i agree that a change might be nice...but you should also have a good idea of what you're getting into there.  So I would think that would make the decision easier. If you're conflicted solely because of the money I would go with GW...but if Temple is luring you otherwise maybe you want to consider it.  Particularly if you're interested in the Philly area...Temple grads do very well in this region.  GW might give you a small advantage in the NY or DC areas but not much else...

good luck!