Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first day of school  (Read 2942 times)

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
Re: first day of school
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 01:23:55 PM »
Probably, although I'd like to take a survey of some other areas (Law and Economics sticks out) too before I say for sure I'll do patent.  Patent is a pretty interesting field that I've gotten to work with some at my job, but within the field I think I'm more interested in litigation than prosecution.

Somewhat on the actual thread topic...How far in advance of orientation/first day of school are people planning on moving in? (those going to a new city at least)  My university apt starts the day of orientation, but I can choose to move in a few days early if I so desire.  I'm thinking of doing so just to get a little time to explore NYC but I'm not sure if/how many days to do it for.

jgruber

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 01:28:25 PM »
I'd say it makes sense to move in a few days early, especially to a city like NYC.  At the very least, you can find out where to buy groceries, check out the subway stations, etc.

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »
im an ee as well as an ie (master's)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 01:24:38 PM »
get in as early as you can. you want to be as settled as possible when classes and workloads begin. use the few extra days to learn the area, arrange your apt in the ideal way, pick up everything you forgot, etc. i'd rather be bored for a few days than harried immediately before classes start.

jgruber

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »
Besides, you need to find a bagel shop so you can send me fresh poppy seed bagels every week.

Ginatio

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 01:32:30 PM »
but by the time they get to you, they will no longer be fresh

Besides, you need to find a bagel shop so you can send me fresh poppy seed bagels every week.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 11:31:13 AM »
Maybe i'm overdoing it but i'm moving out to school 2 wks before it starts.  I want to have time to go buy furniture/apt. stuff, get everything set up and organized before school starts.  I'm also shipping things so i want to give myself enough time to have it delivered so that it doesnt arrive the day before classes begin.  I'm sure i'll be bored but i'd rather that then still in boxes when school actually starts up.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 03:43:22 PM »
Maybe i'm overdoing it but i'm moving out to school 2 wks before it starts.  I want to have time to go buy furniture/apt. stuff, get everything set up and organized before school starts.  I'm also shipping things so i want to give myself enough time to have it delivered so that it doesnt arrive the day before classes begin.  I'm sure i'll be bored but i'd rather that then still in boxes when school actually starts up.

I'm moving out 3 weeks before school starts (2 weeks before Orientation starts), so I agree with you.  I want time to be settled and set up before classes begin.  Plus, movers are bringing my stuff cross country, so I wanted to allow plenty of time!  :)
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 04:15:57 PM »
i'm gonna start moving into the apt a month before school starts and get all my furniture, insurance, utilities, car, etc... settled in. then back home for the last 2.5 weeks of the summer to chill and ill move in for the school year a week before school starts... early enough to buy my books but not so early that i get bored.

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 09:57:12 AM »
but by the time they get to you, they will no longer be fresh

So rain an my parade.