Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first day of school  (Read 3000 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
first day of school
« on: June 09, 2004, 04:33:17 PM »
so does anyone have any advice as to what i should bring on the first day of class? i'll be going to bc (boston college) if that makes a difference.

are there any no-so-obvious things that i should bring? (aside from a laptop, etc...). is there any point in buying/bringing notebooks for each class since everyone takes notes on their computer these days?

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: first day of school
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 04:36:31 PM »
Do they have a orientation?  This might be the best place to get the answers...

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 05:00:06 PM »
yeah, they do have orientation... im just wondering what i need to buy in the way of office supplies (and id like to avoid the mad rush during the first week of school).

for example: do i need all of the spiral and 3-ring binders that i had for undergrad and graduate school? are hand-outs common? do i need all of the different colored highlighters that i used?

i guess all of this boils down to the best way to take notes in law school... any suggestions about that?

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 10:49:30 AM »
i talked to several of students attending the law school i will go to in the fall, and they say it's about 50/50 on who writes with pen and paper and who types away on the laptops. 

also, my school allows students to take their exam on laptop also, so essentially, you don't have to write a word at my law school if you have messy writing. 

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 11:18:43 AM »
50/50? I've sat in on a class at Penn and one at Stanford. 95% of the students were typing away on the laptops. it's pretty annoying, actually.. too much clickity clak, clickity clak!

i talked to several of students attending the law school i will go to in the fall, and they say it's about 50/50 on who writes with pen and paper and who types away on the laptops. 

also, my school allows students to take their exam on laptop also, so essentially, you don't have to write a word at my law school if you have messy writing. 

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 11:36:10 AM »
so now does anyone know of a good resource for "proper" note taking in law school? ive been an engineering student for the past 6 years, so my big concern is how to take notes in a more liberal-arts environment.

Lavia

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 03:50:39 PM »
One of my books suggests a legal pad.

I tried briefing on a legal pad, and it felt good. Lots of space, no writing on the back, and when you tear it out, 3 hole punch it and put it where you want it to go in your binder or transfer it to notecards or whatever.

I intend to write with pen and paper in class. I type fast, but I type correctly, with punctuation and whatnot, and few abbreviations. By hand I'm faster when it comes to note-taking cause I use abbreviations and such. And arrows, and other diagrams, etc.

And can you imagine the battery running dead all of a sudden? Or the power goes out and you lose everything you just typed? Or it freezes, and you miss what the prof is saying while waiting for it to get itself together?

And I agree...too much clackety clack and game playing on those damn laptops. I'm sitting in the front of the room so I don't have to be distracted by the games.

Lavia

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
I'm taking a laptop and one pad of paper.  I can type faster than I can write long hand and it almost always legible when I'm done.

After a week, I'm going to reaccess and change what needs to change.

I don't think there is one answer for everyone.  Try one way and if it doesn't work shift to another way.  Adapt, survive, succeed. (oooooo, i like that.  don't touch.  i just copyrighted it)

prettylily

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 03:16:41 PM »
I'm going to bring a laptop and a legal pad (in one of those legal pad holders).  I think I prefer to take notes by hand and add them to my outlines later during the week. I'll also be adding my notes, handouts etc to an expandable folder for each class.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 03:35:53 PM »
My first day is Aug. 19th.  When's yous guys's?