Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best way to let a school know you changed your mind?  (Read 352 times)

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
best way to let a school know you changed your mind?
« on: June 14, 2005, 10:55:35 AM »
what is the best way to let a school that you put a deposit down at that you have changed your mind and will be going somewhere else?

Thanks!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: best way to let a school know you changed your mind?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:03:25 AM »
Set fire to a bag of dog poo in front of the admissions office.

If you don't want to do that, it depends on how bad you don't want to go to the school.  If money is the issue, I might call and tell them, because you might get a better deal.  Otherwise, an e-mail should suffice.  If you really don't want to ever hear back from them, send a letter.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:26:25 PM »
Set fire to a bag of dog poo in front of the admissions office.

If you don't want to do that, it depends on how bad you don't want to go to the school.  If money is the issue, I might call and tell them, because you might get a better deal.  Otherwise, an e-mail should suffice.  If you really don't want to ever hear back from them, send a letter.

I was going to say FedEx the dog poo, that way you don't have to go through the effort of showing up. ;)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 08:44:59 PM »
thanks to the random chaos of the rolling admissions cycle, i had a deposit due at a good option (depaul w/ $$) before i had even heard back from several other schools i was interested in.  i decided i wasnt about to take the risk, so after a visit to depaul (and deciding i wouldnt be completely miserable in chicago) i put down a deposit.  sure enough, mere days after the deadline, acceptance came from villanova, brooklyn shortly after, and then w/l at temple with the same letter alot of people got where basically if you tell then what they want to hear (that you will go there) then you will get in.  yield protection i guess.  anyway needless to say, i made my decision, and it wasn't depaul.

so i called the admissions office to tell them, thinking it was the right thing to do.  i was nervous and basically had a whole story prepared (villanova is closer to home, blah blah blah) but the guy i talked to was cordial and acted like he heard this sort of thing all the time.  not a big deal at all.  their only request was that i follow up the call with an email (gave me his personal address) so that they'd have some record of my change.  the letter requesting my second deposit still came in the mail, but I did not respond...

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 11:33:35 AM »
What you heard from the admissions people at Depaul should be pretty much the same story anywhere. You said it right on the money, its the problem with the rolling admission system. I'm going to Ohio State, and I remember an admissions counselor there saying they know of lots of students who will put seat deposits down at 2 or more schools to put off making a tough final decision. While I don't have that kind of money, its understandable. One of the attorneys I now work for went to Michigan, and said that when he started as a 1L, there were people in his small section getting acceptanec letters off of a wait list during the first week of classes. While that's probably not the norm, it happens.
The admissions counselor also told me that regardless of seat deposits, they really don't know who's going to be on campus on day one until day 1. Its just the nature of the game.