Law School Discussion

Where should I apply next fall? PLEASE COME IN AND TAKE A LOOK!!!

Re: Where should I apply next fall? PLEASE COME IN AND TAKE A LOOK!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 12:04:31 PM »
no..that's exactly what I want, January results. I'm going to get into enough schools with my 161, I am raising my score for HYS and financial aid. I don't want to deal with the October test.

If you actually want a shot at getting into HYS, you need to apply early; not late--which is why you need the October test.

Seriously--Ad coms know you have a 6 month window in which to submit your apps; why should they take the person who applied late, almost like an after thought, when someone with similar or better numbers applied earlier?

Also, people who apply late typically don't get money... Very little, if anything.  (And by late I mean "late in the season", not "past the deadline.")

If you actually want a chance at getting in, apply early and take the October test.

Otherwise, you're probably just throwing away your money--on both the second sitting of the LSAT, and the HYS apps.

What I'm saying is that I am going to apply to EVERY school I apply to (probably the entire top 14 instead of Chicago and Cali schools). The December test will be to add to application, but because I'm taking them in Dec not Oct, I will have less stress because the results could not have any NEGATIVE impact but only a POSITIVE impact. So, if and when I score about 165, I will be more competitive.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
no..that's exactly what I want, January results. I'm going to get into enough schools with my 161, I am raising my score for HYS and financial aid. I don't want to deal with the October test.

If you actually want a shot at getting into HYS, you need to apply early; not late--which is why you need the October test.

Seriously--Ad coms know you have a 6 month window in which to submit your apps; why should they take the person who applied late, almost like an after thought, when someone with similar or better numbers applied earlier?

Also, people who apply late typically don't get money... Very little, if anything.  (And by late I mean "late in the season", not "past the deadline.")

If you actually want a chance at getting in, apply early and take the October test.

Otherwise, you're probably just throwing away your money--on both the second sitting of the LSAT, and the HYS apps.

I'm going to have to disagree with you.  In the case of YHS, applying early just means that you might hear back early (Y and S call a few people before January; H admits a bunch before January).  The bulk of the acceptances are made in February and March, and these schools do not reject people until after the new year.  A December LSAT score won't disadvantage YourBoy.  As for finaid, he might be disadvantaged at the schools that offer scholarships at the time of admission or shortly thereafter (Michigan and Duke come to mind).  However, he would not be disadvantaged at YHS, since they give need-based aid and give full consideration to everyone who is admitted.

Playa222

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree with you.  In the case of YHS, applying early just means that you might hear back early (Y and S call a few people before January; H admits a bunch before January).  The bulk of the acceptances are made in February and March, and these schools do not reject people until after the new year.  A December LSAT score won't disadvantage YourBoy.  As for finaid, he might be disadvantaged at the schools that offer scholarships at the time of admission or shortly thereafter (Michigan and Duke come to mind).  However, he would not be disadvantaged at YHS, since they give need-based aid and give full consideration to everyone who is admitted.

Hmm, this is interesting.  So, if I were to apply EA to say Duke, Penn, Gtown, UVA and NYU and happened to be accepted a few days before Christmas, I could take the December LSAT and the results would be out until after the acceptances, so if I did poorly who cares I'm already into great schools and if I do great I just gave my self a shot at HYS?  Can anyone tell me any negative to such an approach? (besides if I were deferred from the aforementioned schools)

P.S. thank Truth, good info.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 03:34:09 PM »
Columbia

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »

Sure, they may not send out acceptances or rejections until they have a large pool in hand, accumulating them over the first few months before making any real decisions--but do you really think there is no perceived benefit to applying early?

If you're not sure you'll get the 165 or whatever, then ok, leave the LSAT to the end because you think there's a chance it might hurt you.

But I still think there is a benefit to applying early, even if they don't make their decisions until later.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »
Lol, I'm the last person you have to convince to apply early...all of my apps were sent out in September.  Still, I think the only advantage to my doing so was that I heard back from all of the schools except Columbia and Chicago by January.  I didn't turn in finaid forms until late January.  Sure, something else good might have come out of my app being one of the first read, but I have not seen any evidence of it.

Playa222

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
Lol, I'm the last person you have to convince to apply early...all of my apps were sent out in September.  Still, I think the only advantage to my doing so was that I heard back from all of the schools except Columbia and Chicago by January.  I didn't turn in finaid forms until late January.  Sure, something else good might have come out of my app being one of the first read, but I have not seen any evidence of it.

Alci, what do you think of the approach I mentioned above?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »

Alci, what do you think of the approach I mentioned above?

Same approach as YourBoy.  It sounds like a decent plan to me.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2005, 08:35:31 PM »
The marginal increase in your GPA is not enough, in my opinion, to justify the wait.  Additionally, at that time of the year, it would take LSAC at least 2-4 weeks to recalculate the grades.