Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would I be crazy if...  (Read 1712 times)

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
Would I be crazy if...
« on: June 14, 2005, 09:08:34 AM »
Here is the situation:
In at Kent with 10k 1st year renewable, plus I would be living at home, meaning tuition and living expenses, for the first year at least, would total ~20K. I would try to transfer from Kent to NU or UC my second year.

Now, would it make sense to forgo a 20k first year (and the uncertainty of being able to transfer) to go to either Iowa, BC, or W&L if I get in off the waitlist and incur a 40K+ first year? Does anyone know if BC has a debt forgiveness program for public interest law?
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would I be crazy if...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 09:20:45 AM »
If it was me.. I'd def. go to any of those schools you are waitlisted at over Kent.. But, I dont know if you plan on staying in Kent's regional coverage area for your first few years, if you wanna work BIGLAW, if you dont mind living at home (I'd put a needle in my eye if I had to do that -- but Im 26).., or any other info.. On the surface, however, I'd definitely consider any of those schools over Kent.. And, yes, you'd be crazy not to!

ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:20:12 AM »
I'm assuming you want to practice in Chicago from your post.  Kent will get you a Big Law job in Chicago, but you have to be at or near the top of the class.  If you are not worried about Big Law and know you want to stay in Chicago, Kent is ok (its like the fourth best LS in Illinois.... so above average but not great). 

I would seriously look at the other two schools, but Kent really isn't a bad option.  The thing you need to consider most is this:  would be be content with a degree from Kent?  If so go there, if not go to Iowa, remember the odds of transfering (especially to either of the two schools you mentioned) are not all that great (though it can be done), so you need to pick where you go with the assumption you will be staying there.

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:59:17 AM »
drowles, you would consider it, even if it meant that you might be debt-free coming out of kent but 50K+in debt at BC?

Cassie,
I don't know where I want to practice but Chicago wouldn't be bad. More recently I've been thinking public interest; so boston, dc, chicago would be primary spots. By the way, Kent is third best behind UC and NU. Loyola is fourth. I'm just not sure the debt would be worth it, but I am also not assured of doing well at kent and transferring.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
drowles, you would consider it, even if it meant that you might be debt-free coming out of kent but 50K+in debt at BC?

Cassie,
I don't know where I want to practice but Chicago wouldn't be bad. More recently I've been thinking public interest; so boston, dc, chicago would be primary spots. By the way, Kent is third best behind UC and NU. Loyola is fourth. I'm just not sure the debt would be worth it, but I am also not assured of doing well at kent and transferring.

I said Illinois law schools, not chicago law schools.  Kent is fourth best behind NW and U of C as well as Illinois.  U of I is a top 25- top 30 law school depending on the year.  Loyola is fifth best.

But none of that is important (other than my ego wanted to make sure it is not believed to be incorrect), I would give a long look at kent to be honest simply because of the cost, but I am not saying Iowa would be bad.  I just think if you want to do public interested, you are better starting with less debt, and I honestly believe when considering schools, even if you want to transfer out, you should think of it as "where would I rather get my degree from".

gate80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:52:06 PM »
I'm actually in a fairly similar situation.  In at Kent with 20K renewable, in at Fordham with no money, and waitlisted at UIUC, GW, and BU.  Unless I get off one of the waitlists, I'm heading to Kent.  I also would be living at home, and I figure that overall I'd be saving 40-50K per year over Fordham.  I'm a paralegal at a Biglaw firm now and don't want to put myself in the situation where I'd have to go back to it to pay off the debt.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 05:12:23 PM »
Don't count on being able to transfer (or that you'll necessarily want to).  It's harder and more rare than you think to transfer from a school like Kent to a top ten law school.  You'd probably have to be in the top five percent of your class (and even then it might be questionable). 

If Chicago is where you'd really like to be Kent sounds like a great option.  But understand that it's a regional school.  So while it's not impossible to find a job in another city or state, it's going to be a lot harder (and chances are that the job may not be quite as good as one you'd be able to get in chicagoland).

Iowa, and Wash and Lee are more national -- they have much wider name recognition.  That's not necessarily to say that you're going to get tons of recruiters at OCIs from outside the area (although especially at BC you'll get quite a few from DC and NYC), so they're not really "truly" national. 

I think the bottom line is that you have to really take a serious look at what you want.  If you're 100% sure you want to work in public interest law, then perhaps Kent would be for you.  If I were you I wouldn't count on LRAPs for anything.  They vary so much in their terms and funding levels that they're really not likely to help you make a serious dent in large amounts of debt (unless you go to one of a very few top law schools that offer the most money).  But keep in mind that if you're 60k in debt from kent, it'll be hard to do that anyhow.  And keep in mind that you could lose your scholarship -- it's very possible.

If I were you, I would go to BC or Washington and Lee before I went to Kent.  I think the extra moeny is worth it.  But this assumes that you don't care too much where you live (which is possible if you're young and unattached.  besides, Boston is a great, great city!).

My real vote?  Go to BC.  That's what I would do.  But you have to make up your own mind.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
You're crazy for even asking the question.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »
He's crazy for asking the question?  In what sense?

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 06:04:34 PM »
Well he asked, "would it make sense..."

That's basically asking, "Is this reasonable?"

But both options he presented are very reasonable options. You can't differentiate them by asking which option makes sense because they both are reasonable. Therefore the question is crazy.