Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Same old question  (Read 2042 times)

WisconsinAlum01

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Same old question
« on: November 22, 2002, 10:30:31 AM »
I know that several of you out there have asked a similar question, but I thought I'd give it a shot, too.

I'm in the process of applying for part-time law school (Georgia State) for Fall of '03.  My question is this:  What are my chances for getting into this program with the LSAT/GPA and work experience I have?  I currently work in a law firm in Atlanta, which is why I want to do the part-time program (though, I'd love to be going full-time instead!!!).  I went to a pretty good undergrad school (Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison) and graduated with a 3.0 in History and English (my GPA within each major was much higher) in four years, while working at least one or two jobs.  I did a year abroad at a British university, but other than that--no extracurriculars  :-[  Didn't really study for the LSATs (okay, honestly didn't study at all because it was a last-minute decision.  I thought I was going to apply to LS for Fall of '01) and ended up getting a 154.  Yuck.  I've got amazing letters of recommendation, however.  The only thing I have left to do for my application is my personal statement, so I'm very concerned about this!!!  Am I going to have to write the most AMAZING personal statement the committee has ever seen in order to get into this school?

CoconutX

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Same old question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 02:43:00 PM »
I think you have a pretty good shot, especially since you are applying to the part-time program.  Your work experience is definitely in your favor, so I don't think it will be necessary to write the most amazing personal statement ever.  My LSAT was just a couple of points higher than yours and I also have law firm experience, and I think that experience helped me earn acceptance to the full-time program at Cardozo, where the median LSAT is a tad higher than my score.  Just write a darn good personal statement and include in it why you want to go to that particular school.  Trying to write the most amazing statement ever is putting too much pressure on yourself.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Same old question
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 12:59:10 AM »
Good advice cocnutX, that's what I was thinking, but you wrote it much quicker  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141