Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full Scholarship  (Read 2379 times)

Re: Full Scholarship
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 08:32:55 AM »
Full tuition scholarship at Widener DE.  With the GI Bill and State of DE scholarship, I'll be alright.  I'm still taking out some loans to cover living expenses.  I made a deal with myself (and Hubby) that if I can't keep the GPA required to keep the scholarship, I'm cutting my losses and going back to being a paralegal.  I can't justify going over $60,000 in the hole to graduate in the bottom of my class at a 4th tier school (I'm 35 with two pre-teens, a mortgage, etc....).  It wouldn't be fair to the fam.

im sure you will keep the gpa with no problem

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 11:52:37 AM »
I was offered two full-tuition scholarships from Tier 3 schools.  (169 LSAT, 3.95 GPA)  One of them offered a $10,000 living expenses stipend for my first year.

I was offered a 3/4 tuition (renewable) scholarship at Case.  That's where I'm going in the fall.  I took that mostly because Case was a far better school than the ones that offered me full rides...

With a good GPA and good LSAT score, there is merit aid out there.

Can I ask where you're going, eloisa? It seems that with those stats you'd be a shoo-in for t14, and not looking at tier 3 ... unless money was an issue, of course.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 02:53:49 PM »
I was offered two full-tuition scholarships from Tier 3 schools.  (169 LSAT, 3.95 GPA)  One of them offered a $10,000 living expenses stipend for my first year.

I was offered a 3/4 tuition (renewable) scholarship at Case.  That's where I'm going in the fall.  I took that mostly because Case was a far better school than the ones that offered me full rides...

With a good GPA and good LSAT score, there is merit aid out there.

Can I ask where you're going, eloisa? It seems that with those stats you'd be a shoo-in for t14, and not looking at tier 3 ... unless money was an issue, of course.

she says right in her post that she is going to Case. but i do agree she probably could have gotten a better scholarship from a more prestigious school than that with her numbers...
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

puzzle245

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 03:20:08 PM »
Nice to hear eloisa's story and see someone made the same choice as me!  I have almost identical numbers (slightly lower GPA) and applied to a few T3 schools which offered full scholarships.  I am also attending Case this fall with a significant scholarship...  Because I'll be living at home, I can graduate without taking out any loan money!

Personally I didn't even apply for any T14 schools because I was:

a) geographically limited to Cleveland

b) concerned about adding to my pre-existing debt...I already owe $100,000 from undergrad

kookoogirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 03:25:38 PM »
Do you guys think I can get into Seton Hall with a 3.05 149/155/165?

I am looking at Rutgers Newark, SHU, St. Johns, and Hofstra...

prefer RN and SHU

jdavidso

• AOL Instant Messenger - chaklit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 11:12:46 PM »
i got a full ride at emory, which i neither applied for nor deserved. it was my first choice law school for most of my undergrad- so that was probably the best day of my life so far.

3.54, 164
What do you mean you didn't apply for the scholarship?  It seems like almost all law schools do not have seperate scholarship applications, most consider you for merit aid as part of the admissions process.  And if they gave it to you, of course you deserved it.  Unless you got the offer because of a typo in the address.

I meant that I didn't fill out the extra form where you basically had to restate some of the parts of the general application (like your resume, basically). I'm not sure why I never bothered to do this, I guess I just didn't think I had a chance... pretty dumb in retrospect but it turned out not to matter.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 08:50:52 AM »
I meant that I didn't fill out the extra form where you basically had to restate some of the parts of the general application (like your resume, basically). I'm not sure why I never bothered to do this, I guess I just didn't think I had a chance... pretty dumb in retrospect but it turned out not to matter.
Wow, they must have really wanted you to come then.  That's odd that they had a second scholarship application.  And especially odd that it was just restating stuff from the school application.  Seems it was one of those little hurdles organizations put up to eliminate people from consideration.  Except...it didn't eliminate you from consideration.