Law School Discussion

LSAt questions that you want answered?

M2

LSAt questions that you want answered?
« on: June 09, 2004, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm calling the LSAC tomorrow to ask about whether the proctors are allowed to start timing before they read the instructions. I am also going to ask if the proctors have to use stopwatches and  what the deal is with cell phones (i.e. are they not allowed in the room).

Does anyone have anything else they would like me to ask?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: LSAt questions that you want answered?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 12:57:58 PM »
what would they advise if there's a problem with your proctors in terms of calling time early.

Otherwise, your question about timing and instructions is the most worrisome thing.  Thanks so much for calling and sharing, M2!

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:59:09 PM »
maybe you can get us a heads up on the games.  thanks for asking, just post your response about the instructions.  i dont have any questions i can think of.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »
I can answer the cellphone question for you. You are not allowed to have a cellphone out while you are taking the test. You are not allowed to have any kind of electronic device out when you are taking the test. If you are depending on your cellphone to calculate your time, I would suggest getting a stop watch or something like that. Also, I am pretty sure that whatever you use to tell or count time needs to be something that does not make noise, if it beeps...they take it from you.

~K

M2

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:03:53 PM »
I can answer the cellphone question for you. You are not allowed to have a cellphone out while you are taking the test. You are not allowed to have any kind of electronic device out when you are taking the test. If you are depending on your cellphone to calculate your time, I would suggest getting a stop watch or something like that. Also, I am pretty sure that whatever you use to tell or count time needs to be something that does not make noise, if it beeps...they take it from you.

~K

Actually my question was as to whether they are even allowed in the room. I have heard that some test centers make you take it out of your bag and put it on a desk at the front of the room... Being that I am in Manhattan (applies to anywhere nowadays i guess), I will not bring it if this is the case...

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:09:02 PM »
i can understand why they would do this, even though you or i would turn them off, you know there is always that one jackass who will not.  its unfortunate, but the one thing you can count on is the ignorance and self-centeredness of people around you.

~K

Actually my question was as to whether they are even allowed in the room. I have heard that some test centers make you take it out of your bag and put it on a desk at the front of the room... Being that I am in Manhattan (applies to anywhere nowadays i guess), I will not bring it if this is the case...

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:34:41 PM »
I know that when I took the LSAT, they told us to make sure our phones were off and away. A friend of mine took the LSAT and was told that all cell phones would be taken and given back at the end of the test (this would annoy me.. I would probably just silence my phone and keep it in my purse or something).

I think it is like anything else, it is subjective to the proctor. Even though they are all supposed to do the same thing, they often do not. I know someone who was not even finger printed when they took the LSAT, but when I took it... they were like Nazis.

Thanks for asking the questions for us though. :)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 08:00:42 AM »
i'm not sure if youve already called and i think i probably know the answer to this one, but...can you ask if there is any way, online or by calling, to find out how many other test takers are registered for your test center.  i'm really very curious about that.  my test center is a hall at brown that has seminar rooms off to the sides.  if i know how many people are taking it, i think i can predict if they will be giving the test in the main hall or in the rooms.  just curious.

NYBound05

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 01:40:07 PM »
That's a really good question.  I purposely signed up for a testing center that I hoped many people would try to avoid for that exact reason.  I'd prefer the smallest amount of people possible.  But then again, I bet hundreds of other people are thinking the same thing.

i'm not sure if youve already called and i think i probably know the answer to this one, but...can you ask if there is any way, online or by calling, to find out how many other test takers are registered for your test center.  i'm really very curious about that.  my test center is a hall at brown that has seminar rooms off to the sides.  if i know how many people are taking it, i think i can predict if they will be giving the test in the main hall or in the rooms.  just curious.

M2

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 04:50:20 PM »
Well I sort of dropped the ball on this one..

i was going to call after I finished my test, but decided to go grab lunch with teh girlfriend instead...then yada yada yada It was too late to call.

I will be calling monday morning as soon as they open though, and I will post the results here.