Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell Summer Wait list.  (Read 28769 times)

jkang2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cornell Summer Wait list.
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
I just got it via u.s. mail.  Once again, they word it in a fashion that gives you some hope.  However, statistically its not good. 

They say, "This list consists of a group of well-qualified candidates for whom there currently is no space available in our entering class.  Open CAN occur at any time during the summer, including late August."

Why don't they just say, "This list consists of several hundred semi-qualified candidates for whom there is no space available.  Opening can occur ONLY IF one of our well-qualified students decides to "dump" us for better school, "dump" us for a worse school, committ some form of crime, gotten into some form of bodily accident, or just simply decided to not attend law school.  However, from past experience, a person on a wailist is extremely not likely to be accepted.  This is because we USE you as an insurance policy."

If Truth is Told then Youth Can grow.

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell Summer Wait list.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 09:27:07 AM »
I'm glad you started this new thread jkang...now, we can stop pining over the vague reserve list thread and focus on our real priority...another waitlist.

Honestly, I thought getting on their waitlist would mean a much better chance of getting in, but it looks almost everyone got placed on the waitlist.  I think I may call today or tomorrow to try and get a better idea of the list's size and set-up.

I just don't understand why they'd create a waitlist bigger than their class so late in the year.  It defies all logic.  At least we can all claim to be part of the most confusing admissions/waitlist process in the country.

Good luck
ATTENDING: Vanderbilt!! (10K Scholarship)
Accepted: Emory (10K Scholarship)
Waitlist: UVA
Formerly Reserved, but now Waitlisted: Cornell
Denied: Gtown, NYU, Columbia, UMich

jblawguy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:36:51 AM »
It really would be nice if we had all of this discussion on one unified thread so that the same thing does not have to be said in a million different places and so people do not have to spend so much time searching for different threads.

For those who are unaware, the main discussion is occuring here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,34316.80.html

At least by posting here, I can add this to the "unread replies to your posts" thingy.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 04:14:37 PM »
I like the new thread as well.  I honestly can't understand the logic of keeping the wait list in the hundreds. Oh well.

jkang2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 06:27:46 PM »
I just got an email from Cornell.

They said:

1) The wailist is few hundred.
2) they don't RANK waitlist
3) From admission counselor's view point, being on the summer waitlist does not help or hinder with future admission chances.

I agree that many people got waitlisted.  Only question is, how many open seats will be available.  Its really unlikely that someone who signed up with Cornell would cancel and go somewhere else, just because some other place accepted them.  In my opinion, unless it is Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Columbia/NYU/maybe Chicago and U.Penn, it will be TOO MUCH HASSLE.  It would be rare that someone who already signed with Cornell would forgo their guaranteed financial aid just to sign up with other T-14, who will not guarantee financial aid, and not mentioned above.  It would be too much hassle for them and not enough gain.  It would be ridiculous that someone would cancel Cornell with financial aid (and he might not even get his $600 back) so that they can goto UVA, with NO financial aid (since you were waitlisted), JUST BECAUSE it is ranked higher.

I think my logics apply to every lawschool.  Waitlist = Unpropitious.

By the way, does anybody know if some people got accepted from Waitlist last Year??  Was reserves program something new??   

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:38:38 AM »
Actually, I have to disagree with you jkang.  While I doubt more than 25 or 30 people will get taken off the waitlist, I know plenty of people that would switch from Cornell to another T-14 school.  I know if I get taken off both UVA and Cornell's waitlist...I'd be at UVA in a heartbeat, even if it was last minute.  Also, hypothetically, if I had gotten into Cornell regular decision then got pulled off Penn, UVA, GULC, or HYS waitlist...I'd be at those schools in a second.  This is nothing against Cornell, but I'm from Georgia...so, I have to balance climate vs. rank.

Also, you still get financial aid no matter how late you go somewhere.  Stafford loans don't run out of funds...and you can always get private loans.  Assuming you sent them all the appropriate documents, it shouldn't take more than a week or two for them to get you out you financial aid (I know Vandy has said this shouldn't be a concern for a waitlist student).

Anyways, that's just my thought.  I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at Cornell and would love to be there, but I don't think it's a complete lost cause to think that students wouldn't leave if they got pulled off another waitlist.

One other thing...I wonder if they are accounting for students who deposit at multiple schools...I know a few people that have done this to help prolong when they have to make a decision.  So, that's another way spots could open up.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 09:43:02 AM »
I just so something on the Waitlist Movement post that said Penn will be sending out something to their waitlist students in like the next week.  So, depending on the news, that might create some movement on the Cornell list, which of course will create movement at whatever school we've deposited at.

Damn this waitlist food chain.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 01:04:40 PM »
I think jkang2 main point still stands, that the vast majority of seats that open up (if any do) will be people moving up to t-7 schools. Honestly, I don't even see 25-30 seats opening up in a class size of 185...probably <10. 

As soon as I read "a few hundred" on the wait list, I was really disappointed.  I thought at the very least this move to the official wait list would represent a huge cut in applicants. Oh well.

jkang2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 01:18:31 PM »
I think jkang2 main point still stands, that the vast majority of seats that open up (if any do) will be people moving up to t-7 schools. Honestly, I don't even see 25-30 seats opening up in a class size of 185...probably <10. 

As soon as I read "a few hundred" on the wait list, I was really disappointed.  I thought at the very least this move to the official wait list would represent a huge cut in applicants. Oh well.

To make matters worse.  What if more than 190 enrolled so far??  230 enrolled and Cornell is hoping that some of them drop out.  So our waitlist is after 40 people drop out.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 01:56:13 PM »

To make matters worse.  What if more than 190 enrolled so far??  230 enrolled and Cornell is hoping that some of them drop out.  So our waitlist is after 40 people drop out.

Good point on the overenrolling.  Although, I thought I had read somewhere that they had overenrolled last year...and that was why they did the whole reserve list thing so they could be conservative with their enrollment/acceptances.  You might be right though Neub about less than 10 seats opening up...it really just depends.

The "few hundred" thing really bothers me too.  Why make a list that big?  UVa's priority list is only 100 (150 or so if you count in-state and out-state).  I think they could have gotten the list to less than 100, and if they were going to make the list so big, you'd think this extra time would've allowed them to create a priority list or something.

To rant real quickly, I think the most frustrating part about this whole waitlist thing is not knowing where I'm at on the list.  If I knew I was at the bottom of my lists, I could get in the mindset of going somewhere else, or if I was near the top, I could do a little planning.  I was hoping this whole reserve list decision thing would give me a better idea of where I was at with Cornell, but it definitely hasn't.