Law School Discussion

Cornell Summer Wait list.

Everyman

Re: Cornell Summer Wait list.
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2005, 09:45:03 PM »
I sent an email this weekend dropping off the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone else!

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2005, 05:09:20 AM »
yeah me as well

have a very strong alternative lined up that isn't in ithaca ... no use pulling my hair out until august when it isn't really necessary ...

good luck to everyone who is still waiting

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
Has anyone heard anything on a timeline or anything?

Best of luck at your schools Impaired and B.

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2005, 07:28:06 AM »
My understanding with wait lists like this is that usually the second deposit deadline and the two weeks before and until orientation are usually the most important times. I would expect the worst and plan for the best if I were you guys. Meaning, that you should figure out as late as you can hold out and how you can quickly adjust at this deadline.

If you are at a point where you know you cannot make it work, then it's better to withdraw. Otherwise if it somehow does work out you will be haunted by something you cannot have. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Otherwise, set the deadline on when this will happens and plan ahead! Not planning ahead will put in you in the position where I am where I am not sure I can make it happen and am out another deposit.

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2005, 02:29:16 PM »
I hate to be a pain, but would somebody mind posting the text of their waitlist letter here?  I'm assuming that they're all the same.

Mine went to my permanent address and my mother forgot where she put it.  I'm trying to craft a continued interest letter to send in the next day or so and just thought it would be handy to have.  Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.  I'll be sure to include a change of address in my letter!

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2005, 12:26:52 PM »
in case anyone's still waiting . . i got the "you've been released (rejected) from the waitlist" letter yesterday.

I still don't understand what you are saying.  Were you on the waitlist or the reserve?? 

Did you get on the waitlist and then got a rejection letter, or did you simply not get on the waitlist??

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2005, 12:52:59 PM »
Actually, I have to disagree with you jkang.  While I doubt more than 25 or 30 people will get taken off the waitlist, I know plenty of people that would switch from Cornell to another T-14 school.  I know if I get taken off both UVA and Cornell's waitlist...I'd be at UVA in a heartbeat, even if it was last minute.  Also, hypothetically, if I had gotten into Cornell regular decision then got pulled off Penn, UVA, GULC, or HYS waitlist...I'd be at those schools in a second.  This is nothing against Cornell, but I'm from Georgia...so, I have to balance climate vs. rank.

Also, you still get financial aid no matter how late you go somewhere.  Stafford loans don't run out of funds...and you can always get private loans.  Assuming you sent them all the appropriate documents, it shouldn't take more than a week or two for them to get you out you financial aid (I know Vandy has said this shouldn't be a concern for a waitlist student).

Anyways, that's just my thought.  I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at Cornell and would love to be there, but I don't think it's a complete lost cause to think that students wouldn't leave if they got pulled off another waitlist.

One other thing...I wonder if they are accounting for students who deposit at multiple schools...I know a few people that have done this to help prolong when they have to make a decision.  So, that's another way spots could open up.

You didn't read my thread carefully.  Please read it before disagreeing.  I know you future lawyers of this website are all eager to "object."  But you did not read my thread.

My points were:
1) If you were accepted from waitlist at HYS/Columbia/NYU/Chicago/UPenn, then it is logical for you to cancel Cornell regular admission.

2)  If you were regularly accepted at Cornell and waitlisted at UVA/Duke/Northwestern/GULC, it would be "less likely" that you would reject your regular admission from Cornell and goto these lower T-14.  By lower T-14 I mean those schools that are not listed in my point #1.

You were taking time to say "I would go to UVA over Cornell if I was in waitlist for both of them." My hypothetical was never about a situation where you are waitlisted at both.  If you read  my previous thread carefully, or #2 above, you will know that your story does not even touch my hypothetical,  simply because I was talking about regular admission to cornell vs. getting off the waitlist in UVA.  Also, I used UVA as an example of a T-14 school that is ranked slightly higher than Cornell but lower than schools mentioned in my point #1 (HYS/Columbia..etc).

Also, your statement about "canceling admissions to go to another school depends on weather/environment..etc.." is not really helpful since it is so obvious.  Lets talk more about probability and relative weights these elements have on people canceling regular admissions to get into waitlist school.   

By getting accepted from Waitlist, your grants are not guaranteed.  Grants are never guaranteed (true statement).  However, if you were reguarly accepted to cornell and offered some grant, would you risk this by signing to UVA whose guarantees for grants are lower since you were admitted from the waitlist?  This is a subjective question but I am speculating that unless a person has an important personal reason, they will be reluctant to change in the last minute to UVA.  But, this all depends on your balance of benefit and loss.  If you value UVA that much than I can't say it.  But why do you value?  Perhaps some "important personal reason?" 

I am speculating every single one of my claims.  But I am confident that my statements are weak enough to not stur up objections from all direction.

Dissapointed that out of anyone you didn't read my thread carefully. Maybe I was very vague in my language. Sorry 

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »
I think jkang2 main point still stands, that the vast majority of seats that open up (if any do) will be people moving up to t-7 schools. Honestly, I don't even see 25-30 seats opening up in a class size of 185...probably <10. 

As soon as I read "a few hundred" on the wait list, I was really disappointed.  I thought at the very least this move to the official wait list would represent a huge cut in applicants. Oh well.

Unlike UVAblue, you actually read my thread.

Flash

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2005, 01:49:47 PM »
I really don't think predicting student behavior is as cut and dry as we would like it to be.  I declined regular admissions at UPenn for a waitlist spot at UVa, so you can't always rely on numbers.

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2005, 10:56:40 PM »
I really don't think predicting student behavior is as cut and dry as we would like it to be.  I declined regular admissions at UPenn for a waitlist spot at UVa, so you can't always rely on numbers.

Once again, I never doubted the existence of the possibility that some individual rejected Upenn regular admission for waitlist at UVA.  But, didn't you have a pretty solid reason outside of ranking??  Maybe, you like virginia better??  I dunno. 

I don't think anybody on this site said that predicting student behavior is cut and dry.

So, were you accepted from the waitlist at UVA??  Or did you decline Upenn without acceptance from UVA.  If it is the latter, its unreasonably risky and just insane.