Law School Discussion

Cornell Summer Wait list.

Re: Cornell Summer Wait list.
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2005, 09:21:59 AM »
if you check the other cornell wait list thread you will see that someone was told by the people in the admissions office (during a phone inquiry as to the state of the reserve list) that they have in fact overenrolled this year .... and i think by a magnitude of thirty to forty people - so they have to burn through those people BEFORE they even start looking at the wait listers

and no, still nothing - which is really weird

i'll give them another couple of days and then i will feel obligated to call

("so, are you going to reject me now or wait until the end of august to reject me?")

jblawguy

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »
I pretty sure that was actually someone speculating about it. They won't say anything outside it being full.

ohwellok

• the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2005, 09:07:25 AM »
well, i finally got my waitlist letter...turns out it was sent to my parent's house. it's nice that i didn't get rejected, and i'll be staying on it. however, seeing that there are so many people on it, i'm not really expecting anything to pan out from this. oh well.

jblawguy

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
How late are you all going to wait as far as getting started with your current best option?

I am starting to get concerned about finding a place to live and all that, personally. I also wonder what I would do if an offer came right at registration.

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »
How late are you all going to wait as far as getting started with your current best option?

I am starting to get concerned about finding a place to live and all that, personally. I also wonder what I would do if an offer came right at registration.

Personally, I'm willing to wait until the late August.  As I've said, I set up my housing at Emory...so I can move out late into August without any big fees.

I really didn't think about housing at Cornell until recently, but I'm hoping there will be on-campus housing open.  If not, I just hope I can find something based on my friends' recommendations.  With UVA and Vandy, I already have housing backups plans if I get pulled off the waitlist last minute (my brother works at Vandy hospital so I can live with him and I have plenty of friends still at UVA.).  I guess maybe I should look closer into a Cornell backup plan in case on-campus housing isn't available.  Any suggestions?

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2005, 09:26:24 AM »
Guys, I have one other "thinking ahead" question.  I think I might end up getting this RA-type job at Emory, where I'm currently planning to go to law school; and basically, it'd give me free room and board, a salary, and I'd also get a 1/4 discount on my tuition.  If you combine that with the 1/4 tuition scholarship I already have, it dramatically reduces my cost of attendance from $40,000 w/scholarship to $10K - 12K per year (assuming I paid half or so of my salary toward tuition). 

Anyways, my question is...if I get taken off a waitlist, what should I do?  I'm pretty sure if I got in off Cornell or UVa's waitlists...I'd still go there, but I'm not sure about Vandy (the waitlist that I have the best chance at), since it's not quite as big of a leap in the rankings.  Any thoughts?

By the way, just to give some perspective, before I found out about this job, there was no question in my mind that if any of my waitlist schools accepted me, I would choose them over Emory.

jblawguy

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2005, 09:48:54 AM »
Guys, I have one other "thinking ahead" question.  I think I might end up getting this RA-type job at Emory, where I'm currently planning to go to law school; and basically, it'd give me free room and board, a salary, and I'd also get a 1/4 discount on my tuition.  If you combine that with the 1/4 tuition scholarship I already have, it dramatically reduces my cost of attendance from $40,000 w/scholarship to $10K - 12K per year (assuming I paid half or so of my salary toward tuition). 

Anyways, my question is...if I get taken off a waitlist, what should I do?  I'm pretty sure if I got in off Cornell or UVa's waitlists...I'd still go there, but I'm not sure about Vandy (the waitlist that I have the best chance at), since it's not quite as big of a leap in the rankings.  Any thoughts?

By the way, just to give some perspective, before I found out about this job, there was no question in my mind that if any of my waitlist schools accepted me, I would choose them over Emory.

I think it is important to ask youself what you want to be doing after law school and how much rankings will matter with that. One thing to think about is what if you go off the Vanderbilt wait list? Would part of you be hoping that UVa or Cornell would open up? Usually they do not give you much time to decide and likely offers won't come at the same time.

I guess what I am getting at is that maybe it's not a bad idea to whittle down schools you are willing to hold out for as the summer goes on. It sounds like maybe there's at least one school where you are not sure you would drop anything for.

Personally, I am on the wait list at both Michigan and Cornell. Supposedly the Michigan wait list is beginning to or just about to move again. I would much rather go to Cornell so I am wondering what I will do if Michigan gives me an offer before Cornell has been ruled out. Probably I would take the bird in the fist rather than in the bush, but I am not sure...

I am thinking I am going to withdraw from Michigan and just leave an opening for Cornell should it start getting well into July without an offer from either school. That I am pretty sure of.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2005, 10:03:06 AM »
You make a solid point JC.  Before I heard about this job opportunity, I was planning to take whichever waitlist offer I got first.  I want to practice nationally and probably in a big firm and I felt Vandy, Cornell, or UVA would give me better prospects coming out of school.  I guess the big thing that has changed is the money.  Having a low debt load coming out would give me a lot more options on what jobs I could pursue because I wouldn't have to worry about paying so much off.

Honestly, I think I'll have to wait to see what happens first...this all may be a moot point if no one accepts me.  I think I may take myself off Vandy waitlist if it gets into August without any word, but I do know that if I hear from Cornell or UVA, I'm there no matter the price difference (although a 20K scholarship would be nice).

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2005, 01:03:03 PM »
well still no word from cornell - and they do have my correct address

???

Everyman

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »
No word here, either