Law School Discussion

Cornell Summer Wait list.

Re: Cornell Summer Wait list.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 08:28:38 AM »
not to pour sour milk on this thread but do any of you ACTUALLY think that you'll be at cornell next year?

jblawguy

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 08:31:12 AM »
I put my chances at 20% being there.

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 09:01:59 AM »
Honestly, I'm fine with waiting.  I've set up things so that I can wait until mid-August to hear from schools.  Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't like to hear sooner and won't do a little bitching along the way.  Like unicorn, I kinda got the feeling that I'd get something a little more firm from Cornell based on the reserve list letter, and I actually asked my boss to try and wait until June (in hopes of hearing from Cornell) before needing a decision about staying another year or going to law school.

I sincerely want to go to Cornell, and based on what I've looked at on LSN, I think I have a decent chance (depending on how many people they accept those chances could range form 5%-30%).  I think all of us just want some closure and that's why I get frustrated with this waiting.

Also, I think the sooner we know the sooner we can open up spots at the schools we're deposited at.

jblawguy

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
You really think that many people will get into Cornell from the Waitlist.  I was thinking like 1 or 2, but that was just a random guess.

I would guess it will fall into the 1-10 range.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 09:27:45 AM »
You really think that many people will get into Cornell from the Waitlist.  I was thinking like 1 or 2, but that was just a random guess.

Well, I was thinking 5-10 for my low number and probably 25 or so for a high optimistic number.  I definitely think it'll be more than 1 or 2 people...Why would they create such a big waitlist if they were overenrolled?  I think there is a big difference between full and overenrolled, and if they're just full and not overenrolled, I think through attrition at least 5 or more spaces would be open.  I've only heard the stories of only 1 or 2 people getting in off the waitlist when schools overenroll (like Vandy did last year and UVA 2 years ago), and their overenrollment in effect becomes their watilist.

jblawguy

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 10:04:37 AM »
But why create a "reserve" list if the class is full?

B/c they did not expect their class to be full with the number of acceptances they sent out. Cornell has increased its standings in the USNWR and predicting the rate of second deposit payments is rather difficult. I think it would be wrong to assume that Cornell intentionally strung out the reserve list decisions.

ohwellok

• the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 10:14:55 AM »
I think the alphabet thing is good guess.  I'm an H and I think I got mine a couple days after jclaw, who is a C.  To think I beat up my mailman for nothing...well, he deserved for delivering those silly rejections from NYU, Columbia, Penn, and Michigan.

Even if it is the alphabet thing, I think Impaired makes an excellent point...they said late May and now we're approaching mid-June.  Since it takes a few weeks to get all the waitlist cards mailed back in, they probably won't even be able to move on the waitlist until the end of June or start of July.  Argh...More waiting for the most impatient man on earth.

sorry, guys, but i don't know about this whole alphabet thing. i'm an h as well, and STILL have not heard anything. damn cornell, when will i hear from you!?!?!?

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 10:18:24 AM »
I think the reserve list was actually created before any of the deposit deadlines.  So, they couldn't really know the class was going to be full when they created it.  Also, I think that was the whole theory behind the reserve list..."We don't want to put people on a waitlist if we know there is no chance...So, we'll wait and see what our class looks like then decide if a waitlist or rejection is needed"

In theory, it's actually a good idea, but obviously, in practicality, it has its frustrations

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »
i see an OVERenrolled t14 with a waiting list that is several hundred deep and actually exceeds the size of the overenrolled class itself ...

i really can't imagine that that many people are going to turn cornell down at this point. yeah, a few undoubtedly will - maybe just enough to make their class size work, maybe just enugh so that one, two, three, or four from the pool of several hundred wait listed applicants will get pulled up. doesn't seem too promising to me.

we will call it "the cornell lottery" - who is going to win?

buy your tickets please

jblawguy

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »
i see an OVERenrolled t14 with a waiting list that is several hundred deep and actually exceeds the size of the overenrolled class itself ...

How do you see this overenrolled class?

Did you end up getting a letter eventually?