Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pre law advisors  (Read 2132 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: pre law advisors
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 04:38:16 PM »
haha....thanks everyone for your insightful informations  ;)

yeah...it does seem that most prelaw advisors are chimps pretending as humans.  ;D

i'm gonna sit down and have a chat with my advisor, but i doubt i will listen to him anyways.
  :D

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 05:43:16 PM »
The first and only time I saw my pre-law advisor was to seek help in deciding between offers. The dumbass' best advice was to write down each school in a column and the pros and cons underneath. Then pick the school w/ the most pros. Sure this is a good starting point, but some factors are weighed differently.

You're much better off checking out stuff online like deloggio.com, vault's Ann Ivey, and these boards.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 06:15:56 PM »
The first and only time I saw my pre-law advisor was to seek help in deciding between offers. The dumbass' best advice was to write down each school in a column and the pros and cons underneath. Then pick the school w/ the most pros. Sure this is a good starting point, but some factors are weighed differently.

You're much better off checking out stuff online like deloggio.com, vault's Ann Ivey, and these boards.

LOL.

thanks

pdoran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 06:41:43 PM »
Has anyone ever used Anna Ivey?

www.annivey.com

I can imagine her services are very expensive given her exceptionally pertinent experience at Chicago Law Acholl as admissions tutor.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 11:16:50 AM »
Wow, I guess I got lucky. My Pre-law advisor has been one of the most helpful influences in college and getting info on Law School. I guess I have an advantage, because I've worked in his office for Work Study since Freshman year, so I pretty much have heard EVERY story that he can think of as well as heard him answer EVERY question that students ask him about Law School. My favorite is how students believe they have to be Poli Sci or History to go to Law School. In his infamous words

"You can go to Law School with a Degree in Basket Weaving, the only thing that matters is your LSAT, GPA, and Recommendations"

But then again, I guess I've got an addition advantage because my school is a Private School, so its easier to talk to one man when the school's population is 3,000.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Lipper316

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »
You are very lucky. My pre law advisor use to be on admissions at fordham law school, so you would think she knows what she is talking about. Nope. Actually because of her previous job at fordham law, she thought she knew everything. I remember when we sat down to talk about which schools to apply to, she was referring to an lsac book that was 4 years old!! She even told me that the stats dont change much year to year, and many other examples of bad advice.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »
You are lucky, I went to a private school with even less students then that and that jerk never responded to me. I since reading this thread, I have a close relationship with the dean, I think I'm gonna contact her about that, how can he be a pre-law advisor and then never respond to students? I went into everything blind.