Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pre law advisors  (Read 2023 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
pre law advisors
« on: June 09, 2004, 02:51:01 PM »
i just got assigned a pre law advisor from LSAC after i registered for the test online.

did anyone find their advice to be useful?

thanks.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: pre law advisors
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:03:58 PM »
I registered last spring, and I never got an advisor.  I wonder if I should feel slighted... ???

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »
I've never heard of anyone having one assigned by LSAC, must be something new.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 03:11:29 PM »
when i registered they identified a faculty member at my undergraduate school as my advisor, even though my degree is 21 years old.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:12:28 PM »
Most likely that person has been the "pre-law" advisor all the time but you never knew it. When I registered for the LSAC the "pre-law" advisor info was placed there and I found it incredibly ironic considering in undergrad I had attempted to contact that a** numerous times through phone and e-mail and he never responded.

But to answer your question, no. You have plenty of pre-law advisors here  ;)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 03:27:39 PM »
Ok, I get it now.  I guess the reason I didn't realize what the person was talking about is because the person LSAC listed for me really was my prelaw advisor at my undergrad.  If you don't recognize the name I guess its someone at your school who they seem to think does all the prelaw advising.

A word on undergrad prelaw advisors...mine sucked!!!  He totally screwed me up last admissions season and I ended up waiting a year and trying again this year.  I will never forgive that a-hole for pretending to know what he was talking about while he was ruining my chances.  I have learned FAR FAR more by reading this and other boards online and this admissions season was far more kind to me.  You'll definitely get more out of this board than some undergrad professor moonlighting as a prelaw advisor!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:31:21 PM »
I got lucky at BU.  The pre-law advisor is a dean at the school of law.  He lectures around the country and is well known in the profession.  Granted, it takes about a month and a half to get an appointment with the guy, but hey, can't have everything, right?

ttiwed

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 03:36:32 PM »
Ok, I get it now.  I guess the reason I didn't realize what the person was talking about is because the person LSAC listed for me really was my prelaw advisor at my undergrad.  If you don't recognize the name I guess its someone at your school who they seem to think does all the prelaw advising.

A word on undergrad prelaw advisors...mine sucked!!!  He totally screwed me up last admissions season and I ended up waiting a year and trying again this year.  I will never forgive that a-hole for pretending to know what he was talking about while he was ruining my chances.  I have learned FAR FAR more by reading this and other boards online and this admissions season was far more kind to me.  You'll definitely get more out of this board than some undergrad professor moonlighting as a prelaw advisor!

i agree wholeheartedly. my prelaw advisor screwed me over as well. she told me that working a year before going to law school will significantly improve my chances of getting into reach schools. then, when i went to the lsac forum and asked representatives from the schools, they're like "no, work experience won't hurt you, but it won't significantly boost your application either." who knows, maybe i would've met my future wife in law school this fall and we would have given birth to the next gandhi. but thanks to her, my life plans have been drasticaly altered.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 03:47:27 PM »
The prelaw advisor that I spoke to really sucked. I was a double major in communication/concentration PR and Art/concentration graphic design... I had always thought about law, but I was not sure about it. I sat down with him and told him I wanted to take the LSAT, what should I do to prepare? He said that I could just pick up a LSAT book and read through it, maybe take a practice test.

The male private part did not think I would even score high enough to consider law school because I was an art/com major and not a crim justice or poli sci major. Low and behold I do average, so I go back in and ask him what to do now because I wanted to get into a school in the area. He says you could take the test again and bring up your score, you are farmiliar with the test now, that is half the battle. Ok, I figure since he told me to take it again, I would take it again.. he would know... .

Well, I did worse on the second test, I went to meet with him again, he told me, "Oh. Well you went down, they average your scores. But you should just apply to law schools anyway." I could have killed him. Granted, ignorance on my part was half the problem, but when you seek out someone who is supposed to be an ADVISOR, you would think they would be somewhat helpful.

Needless to say, I demanded a new advisor because I felt like I had not been taken seriously and screwed beyond belief.. my new advisor is great... he suggested that I get a real job, do a masters if I feel the need to stay in school, and try again a year or so from now...he told me that many schools will drop the lower scores if you go up 7 to 10 points... I have been out of college almost a year, been working full time as a marketing manager, I am half way done with my masters degree, and I am taking the LSAT again on Monday.

A godawful law school advisor coupled with my ignorance put me in an extremely rough position, but with all situations when I am between a rock and a hard place, I will over come... at least, I hope to be able to.

Sorry to rant about law school advisors but that put a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 04:04:24 PM »
Ok, Clone the consesus here is that prelaw advisors suck, stay away from whoever that person is (btw, the prelaw advisor did eventually call me, it had only been like 7 years, but he called me b/c the dean advised him I was applying, he asked me what my gpa was and blah blah blah, he told me to either go to grad school or if I applied now not to even bother applying to any place besides T4, well I'm going to a T2 now)