Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many of you are over 30?  (Read 1039 times)

txntrio

Re: How many of you are over 30?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
I agree 100%

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 07:53:45 PM »
I'm 36, so these questions have popped up in my head as well.

I don't know, but I suppose some of our youngest and least experienced fellow students may find us incomprehensible (or, at the least, not as "fun" as those their age), but I would be greatly surprised if age turns out to be an issue for most students when it comes down to study groups or any other academic issue.

With recruiters, again I don't know--but I could see it cutting both ways: thumbs down if they suspect we don't have suitable energy or longevity; thumbs up if they prefer our maturity and the fact that we don't need to learn all sorts of distracting life-lessons while on the job.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 08:06:14 PM »
I'll be 30 in October, so I hope that's close enough to qualify me to comment.

I'm banking on it being an asset. I'm a better student than I was in my teens and early twenties. I'm less distracted. Things that were very stressful then, roll off my back now. I recover more easily from setbacks and am less daunted by obstacles. I definitely have a higher tolerance for tedium too. Maybe it's perspective, or maybe it's just the emotional numbening that comes with getting your teenage hormones in check.

As for the workplace social aspects after graduation, I'm thinking it may be an asset there too. I've been in other social settings over the last couple of years where people who were much more senior or experienced treat me more at their level because I'm older than the usual newcomers. You kind of get unofficially promoted to the adults' table, even though there are kids who've been waiting in line longer for that privelage. I don't know if that'll come into play in law firms, but I'm willing to give it a try. 

3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

zeroL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:28 PM »
I would have been a horrible law student at 23 (note that I'm not saying that 23-year-olds are terrible law students - just that *I* would have been.)

I was worried about this too, so I 1) talked with people from the mature students' club at my school 2) talked to the admissions office, who assured me that about 20% of the incoming 1Ls have graduate degrees (so do I) and are 27 or over 3) met other older students at the admitted students' welcome. Turns out a friend of mine from grad school, now in her 40s is going to my school too (which tells you something about the academic job market, doesn't it?) and 4) I talked to a BigLaw partner that I happened to have a connection with.  He said that his firm, at least, valued the maturity and varied experience that a lot of older students bring and they've had a great deal of success hiring non-trads. His advice for me was the same as it would be for any law student: go to the best school that you can, work hard, get good grades, and the rest will follow.

And yeah, if some firm won't hire me because I'll be 37 when I graduate, that firm would obviously be a bad fit anyway.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »
Plus, if your kids are half-grown, you won't have to worry about jumping off the partner track onto the mommy track when your clock starts ticking down.  Mine will be teenagers when I'm done with law school, and I couldn't be happier.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »
31 and I'm not worried about it. I figure about 1/3 of kids comming out of undergrad are going to Law School because they don't know what to do with their PoliSci (insert any other soft major here) degree. At least we older folks know we want to be in school and are taking a big chance with family and career to make it happen. I don't know about socially, but on the academic side I think we might are at least on par if not a little bit ahead when it comes to our studies.