Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does June say about October?  (Read 2280 times)

matlock2008

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does June say about October?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 06:38:42 PM »
I disagree that the games are becoming less difficult...For example, those who had the Experimental Games section will tell you that the last game was a female dog.

Compared with the October and June 2004 tests, as well as many prep tests I've done, I believe games are getting easier.  It's nonsense that the games section is becoming more difficult to fight prepclasses.  IMO, games are easier to teach than LR or reading comprehension.  Someone who has never practiced a games section will do much worse on his initial section than would a LR virgin--the LR is more similar to ACT, SAT, and regular thinking.  Thus, the games section is a poor candidate to 'combat' prep classes.  The prepped students will ALWAYS vastly outperform nonprepclass people on games.  The better method to equalize the field, which I believe is exactly what the ETS staff is doing, would be to makes reading and LR sections more difficult, both in length and material.  As an instructor, I'm sure you'd agree that speed is a difficult thing to teach (27 reading questions?).

Also, a game's presence in the experimental section is no guarantee that it will make it to a real test--it's merely a trial.  And, hey, there still is going to be a tough game on every test...but there are going to be 2-3 cupcakes.   

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 09:33:27 PM »
That they're making games easier to combat test prep makes perfect sense.  Think of it this way:  when Tiger Woods started playing, many courses started to make the course longer to "Tiger-proof" it.  All this did was give him a GREATER advantage than he had before.  If they made the course shorter, that's the only way to level the field -- hence they are making games somewhat easier.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 02:27:28 AM »
That they're making games easier to combat test prep makes perfect sense.  Think of it this way:  when Tiger Woods started playing, many courses started to make the course longer to "Tiger-proof" it.  All this did was give him a GREATER advantage than he had before.  If they made the course shorter, that's the only way to level the field -- hence they are making games somewhat easier.

I disagree.  The best way to combat better prep is to make the game section harder, because then prep will be less of an advantage.  (Everyone, obviously, has a responsibility to prep, and only the truly gifted will be able to really excel.)

If you make it easier, you just make the test an inferior predictor of analytical ability. 

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 04:30:15 AM »
Was not.  I just gave my opinion: worrying about relative difficulty or if games will be one type or another or if RC passages will be 65 lines is pointless and won't help you.  Preparing by reading/taking as much past LSATs as possible and trying to understand the basics of the test will serve you better.  Speculation about other stuff is pointless in my view.  No hijack here, I expect an apology.

There's no way in hell I'm apologizing.

However, I will point out that I was clearly just making a joke based on your name.  That's why I said "hiljack", and not "hijack". 

I've done this on numerous other threads as well, of course.

You went after me with no cause, but you are a future lawyer, so I get it, you want to have no heart, whatever.  The bottom line is that 'just forget about it' is the best advice.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 12:26:45 PM »

I disagree.  The best way to combat better prep is to make the game section harder, because then prep will be less of an advantage.  (Everyone, obviously, has a responsibility to prep, and only the truly gifted will be able to really excel.)

If you make it easier, you just make the test an inferior predictor of analytical ability. 

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 12:30:29 PM »
I disagree.  They don't need to decrease the difficulty, they just need to create a unique game or two per section.

Prep classers have no advantage when you give them a pattern game, or a game with no set "category."  Or I should say, no advantage other than actual increased analytical ability, which the LSAT writers WANT to reward.

I hope for the sake of the test itself that they don't dumb this down.