Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rank the presidents from FDR on  (Read 10325 times)

ChrisD8400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: rank the presidents from FDR on
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2005, 10:48:21 PM »
Based on my normative perspective.
1.  FDR-Changed the entire relationship of the people to the gov't in a way that made the gov't more responsive the people's needs and was a much needed modernization after the industrial revolution changed what people's relationship to the gov't should be.
2.  Truman-Maybe the most decisive president ever (though W not far behind).  Set the Cold War policy that would last the next fifty years.
3.  Clinton-Unlike the first two, he has no legacy, but he was very effective in office.  Excellent economic policies, helped education, put more officers on the street, and had a successful foreign policy.  Also successful at balancing budget.
4.  Nixon* (this ignores Watergate)  A hybrid between a conserative and a liberal, Nixon was able to get things done domestically.  His practical foreign policy was also a big successful. Handled NAM okay. If I factored in watergate though he would drop from 4 out of 11 to probably 11 out of 11.
5. Geroge Bush- if he had been reelected he might have set the foreign policy that set the standard for the next fifty years.  Handled the Persian gulf well and broke his promise not to raise taxes for good reason, because the deficit was spiraling out of control and that took guts.
6. Eisenhower-Continued Truman's foreign policy, but always used prudence.  A social conserative he still supported the Brown decision and helped America transition from a more conserative America to a slightly more progressive one.
7. Carter-  Bad timing President.  He made a great energy policy that Reagan dumped.  His economic reforms to a couple  years to take effect, just in time for the new President Reagan to take credit.  Also he not Reagan negioiated the release of Iran hostages.
8. Reagan- revitalized the nation with his optimism and fought over intrusive gov't which was starting to be a real problem.
9.  LBJ-had solid domestic achievements, particularly on civil rights and helping the poor.  However, he is marred by Nam.
10.  Ford- like Carter never really had a chance.  Helped move the country on after Watergate.  Some foreign policy successes.
11.  Kennedy- Like Reagan revitalized the nation.  Also like Reagan more perception than specific policies.  Foreign policy successes and failures-he didn't have the guts LBJ had to push for civil rights.

Did someone seriously just rank Carter ahead of Reagan?

That has to be seriously the dumbest thing I have ever seen on LSD.

You can't be for real.  Even zealots like Dean and Kerry wouldn't be THAT stupid.  Ever hear of stagflation?  Thank Jimmy Carter for that.

C2

Maybe I'm misreading his posts, but I dont think he realizes that there are 2 GBs either.

ChrisD8400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2005, 10:51:22 PM »
carter was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  When the price of oil goes up, inflation is going to happen.  Everything from shipping on 18 wheelers to planes cost more, energy bills go up for business, it just makes everything more expensive.  Carter was the first President to really have to a oil crisis, before then the major industrial nations had always been able to dicate price, that changed at about this time.  Furthermore, the economy responds slowly to things, obviously he was in office for four years he couldn't have cause the economic depression, though people can argue he didn't respond to it effectively.  Vietnam had tied and diverted the nations resources so there had been little investment in the economy the decade preceding him, once again not his fault.  Carter took the first steps towards recovery, but he was not decivise, he is a little bit like Hoover in that regard.  Right wingers like to point to Carter as the a failure and how dem's are inept, but if thats true, then so was George Bush and Herbert Hoover, two other Presidents that had bad timing, but weren't necessarily bad presidents.

YOU STILL PUT CARTER AHEAD OF REAGAN!  I don't even know what to say to you except that you must cry everytime your party loses an election.  No wonder why, you guys are just moronic. 

ccorsi

« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2005, 10:54:49 PM »
carter was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  When the price of oil goes up, inflation is going to happen.  Everything from shipping on 18 wheelers to planes cost more, energy bills go up for business, it just makes everything more expensive.  Carter was the first President to really have to a oil crisis, before then the major industrial nations had always been able to dicate price, that changed at about this time.  Furthermore, the economy responds slowly to things, obviously he was in office for four years he couldn't have cause the economic depression, though people can argue he didn't respond to it effectively.  Vietnam had tied and diverted the nations resources so there had been little investment in the economy the decade preceding him, once again not his fault.  Carter took the first steps towards recovery, but he was not decivise, he is a little bit like Hoover in that regard.  Right wingers like to point to Carter as the a failure and how dem's are inept, but if thats true, then so was George Bush and Herbert Hoover, two other Presidents that had bad timing, but weren't necessarily bad presidents.

The oil crisis was in 1973 - 4 years before Carter took office.

So clearly - you don't know what you are talking about.

Funny though how you want to give Carter a pass for previous President's policies that put him at a disadvantage, but still give Clinton credit for a good economy during his terms which were the result of Reagan and Bush policies.

C2

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2005, 12:16:22 AM »
because it's funny

I dunno.  I don't know you personally, so I'm not going to say that I think you're anti-semitic or anything.  But from someone who only knows you from seeing a picture that you've put up and that quote ... it just makes me wonder what type of person you really are. Especially because there are so many more memorable quotes from Office Space that can't be interpreted in quite as bad of a light.  You just have to wonder, if someone has one sentance to use in letting people know who they are, why they would choose something that can be misinterpreted so badly.

i'm sorry. this is even funnier...
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2005, 12:19:39 AM »
the only good thing to occur during the carter administration was the miracle on ice. 'nuff said...
2.78 (McGill), 158

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »
because it's funny

I dunno.  I don't know you personally, so I'm not going to say that I think you're anti-semitic or anything.  But from someone who only knows you from seeing a picture that you've put up and that quote ... it just makes me wonder what type of person you really are. Especially because there are so many more memorable quotes from Office Space that can't be interpreted in quite as bad of a light.  You just have to wonder, if someone has one sentance to use in letting people know who they are, why they would choose something that can be misinterpreted so badly.

I say this with the uptmost of respect:

You are a d*ck.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Attending: Columbia

ChrisD8400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 15, 2005, 12:27:52 AM »
because it's funny

You are a d*ck.

Sincerely,
Jeff

Please see the thread on the democratic party.  You are the type of person that I am targeting in that thread.  Need a tissue?

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 15, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
because it's funny

You are a d*ck.

Sincerely,
Jeff

thank you.
2.78 (McGill), 158

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 15, 2005, 12:57:25 AM »
Sometimes I'm amazed with how ... dickish people are on this board.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised; it is the internet after all.  Ah well, time to go back to my liberal life of dominating the country's prestigious academic institutions, making more money than conservatives, living in states with less crime and more intelligent people, and pining away for the day when we actually know how to run a political party again.  Until next time, conservative male private part-wads!  May you enjoy your short reign, be electorally punished for your unpopular views, and revel in your NASCAR-watching, battling-deer-with-uzis lifestyle.  Don't come complaining to me when your kids' public school system can't teach them to read, you can't afford health insurance, you have to support your parents' retirement because their pensions have tanked and social security has been busted, and you are paying more taxes than you otherwise would have at your low income levels because of our newly-minted flat tax.  I will be off enjoying myself at your expense as a part of the liberal elite that somehow rules the world even though conservatives seemingly control all of the major U.S. governmental institutions.  Oh, and enjoy fox news!  I look forward to Hannity's riveting new books!
Attending: Columbia

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 15, 2005, 01:00:45 AM »
Liberals make more money than conservatives?  Since when?