Law School Discussion

Apartments in Houston - Near STCL or UH

cam108

• View Profile
Apartments in Houston - Near STCL or UH
« on: June 11, 2005, 06:56:32 PM »
ok, so i'm waitlisted at both schools, but i thought i'd start researching apartments just in case. :)

So I was at apartmentfinder.com and there seem to be tons of affordable nice apartments with loads of amenities. So i guess apartments in Houston are not hard to come by or so it would appear. I mean they have pools,spas,fitness centers and etc. The rent is only around $760-$900 for a 1 bedroom and even for a 2 bedroom in some cases.oh, most of these apartments were in Harris County if that helps.

Now is this to good to be true or what? Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the apartments in the areas 20-30 mins of either law school??

Re: Apartments in Houston - Near STCL or UH
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 07:27:30 PM »
Look for the Houston Roll call thread in the Decided Students section. There is a discussion of specific apartments and how to find out how their rated or what their problems are. From what I found in my search, this seems to be accurate. By the way, if you move out and need a place to crash while you look, you can always stay with us. We'll open our home to any UHLC 1L!

skainch

• my boys
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers = Skainch
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »
I live near the medical center (in Houston) now, but I am moving to St. Louis in 2 months.  I love living in the medical center (near Rice University).  You should check out my apartment complex Archstones at Brompton Court, on Brompton between Holcombe and Braeswood.  I think the number is 713-666-4138.  I love this neighborhood and would strongly recommend it over any other neighbrhood in Houston. My 1st apartment here was 1000 sq. feet for $800 a month (1 bedroom), and now I have a 1550 sq. feet for $1300 a month (2 bedroom with a large study).  Good Luck.  Definitely don't live outside loop 610 or near UH.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 07:52:46 PM »
I live near the medical center (in Houston) now, but I am moving to St. Louis in 2 months.  I love living in the medical center (near Rice University).  You should check out my apartment complex Archstones at Brompton Court, on Brompton between Holcombe and Braeswood.  I think the number is 713-666-4138.  I love this neighborhood and would strongly recommend it over any other neighbrhood in Houston. My 1st apartment here was 1000 sq. feet for $800 a month (1 bedroom), and now I have a 1550 sq. feet for $1300 a month (2 bedroom with a large study).  Good Luck.  Definitely don't live outside loop 610 or near UH.

Archstone is a great company. I really like them. They're fairly upscale and have the prices to match though.

However, I disagree with you about living outside the loop. I bought outside the loop near Dean Tennessee and a few profs. It's "outside the loop, inside the beltway". I'm off Cullen and the Toll Roads near Pearland. My drive to school during rush hour is only 20 minutes.

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! and thanks for that very nice offer Scurvy! :)

I'm not sure what you guys mean with all this outside the loop vs. in loop business though. Most of places I saw were in Harris County. Is that inside or outside of the loop? Also, these apartments ranged from 14min from UH to about 33 min. They all looked so lovely though! I can't get over what a nice place you can get in Houston for so little! From looking at those apartments, they would be so much MORE expensive here in MD.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 01:30:03 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! and thanks for that very nice offer Scurvy! :)

I'm not sure what you guys mean with all this outside the loop vs. in loop business though. Most of places I saw were in Harris County. Is that inside or outside of the loop? Also, these apartments ranged from 14min from UH to about 33 min. They all looked so lovely though! I can't get over what a nice place you can get in Houston for so little! From looking at those apartments, they would be so much MORE expensive here in MD.

You're welcome!

Well, I don't even live in Houston yet, so I had to learn all of this stuff too. Houston's freeway system is built in a system of concentric loops radiating from downtown. All of Houston is in Harris or (what's the other county?) So, UH is right in the center. There's down town which is adjacent to the Medical Center. It's surrounded by the 610 loop. This is just called "The Loop". Then there's another ring out in suburbia called "The Beltway", this is Beltway 8, which is a toll road (correct me if I'm wrong here!). Then there's Hwy 6 which is fairly far and I don't know if it has a name. Then beyond that, is the Grand Parkway. It is way out there near Katy and it's only about 10% complete. Hwy 288 runs N-S and connects all of the loop-y freeways from areas such as Pearland. Hwy 10 (the Katy Fwy) runs E-W and connects all of the loop-y Freeways that way. Hwy 45 (also a toll?) runs N-S and connects all of the loop-y freeways from the Woodlands/Spring area.

I'm not a die-hard city gal and I was looking to buy within a limited budget, so I didn't do Medical Center, the Galleria, Montrose, the Heights or Rice Village, which are REALLY nice IMO. They're inside the loop. I didn't want to go as far out as Katy, Sugar Land, or the Woodlands because it would take me too long to get to school (even though some said it would be okay, when I did it, it was not). Apparently, a lot of students live in Montrose. They take side streets to school and get there quickly.

The area surrounding the school, say within 8 miles is SCARY. Except for about 1 random block, but those are only for sale).

likebutta10

• My lil Ellie bean
    • AOL Instant Messenger - likebutta10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 04:14:17 PM »
good thread cam....also interested in where to rent in houston

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 10:24:04 PM »
thanks! that was a really good explantion of the whole loop situation. So then if living in the loop is rather expensive. What are name of some good towns/communities or areas to check out that are slightly outside the loop?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 10:26:35 PM »
I live in a small four-plex about 5 minutes from the law school. The neighborhood is called Eastwood. It's an old Latin area of town that is just beginning to gentrify. I live in 900 sq ft and rent is $575. All hardwoods, view of downtown skyscrapers from my livingroom.

Also on Polk, which is about 1.5 miles due south of STCL. I would highly recommend Eastwood, it's the turn in the letter "L" with UH on the short side and STCL on the long side.

Montrose is another great area. Extremely liberal. The Heights is on the far side of downtown but a 15 minute drive through downtown to either campus.

Check out http://www.houstonpress.com/ for postings in both of these areas. Also try http://houston.craigslist.org/ and you can probably get some pictures.  

Good luck. I can send you pictures of the Eastwood area if anybody is interested.  I'll be vacating my place in late July. I've been really happy there and the landlord is great.

likebutta10

• My lil Ellie bean
    • AOL Instant Messenger - likebutta10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 09:36:42 AM »
I live in a small four-plex about 5 minutes from the law school. The neighborhood is called Eastwood. It's an old Latin area of town that is just beginning to gentrify. I live in 900 sq ft and rent is $575. All hardwoods, view of downtown skyscrapers from my livingroom.

Also on Polk, which is about 1.5 miles due south of STCL. I would highly recommend Eastwood, it's the turn in the letter "L" with UH on the short side and STCL on the long side.

Montrose is another great area. Extremely liberal. The Heights is on the far side of downtown but a 15 minute drive through downtown to either campus.

Check out http://www.houstonpress.com/ for postings in both of these areas. Also try http://houston.craigslist.org/ and you can probably get some pictures. 

Good luck. I can send you pictures of the Eastwood area if anybody is interested.  I'll be vacating my place in late July. I've been really happy there and the landlord is great.

yes, please send me some pics and also any info on ur apt. that you will be vacating....i am very interested.
Thanks for the help!