Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Law School vs. USNWR  (Read 4487 times)

ambar713

Emory Law School vs. USNWR
« on: June 11, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »
First of all, for people still undecided on Emory, you might have heard about the rankings fiasco that went down this year.  It seems there was a mistake in the number reported to USNWR w/ respect to the percentage of graduates who find jobs however long after graduation.  That being said, it was too late for USNWR to re-rank Emory after the mistake was caught, so they added a little "*" next to Emory w/ a note saying "oops! these numbers are incorrect, but we're not re-ranking just yet."

Why you should care: if you care about rankings at all (which I hear is ridiculously important to a lot of people), you might be interested to know that a professor of Intellectual Property Law, Internet Law, Entertainment Law, Copyright Law, and Contract Law at Chapman University School of Law thinks he may have figured out the ranking algorithm used by US News.  Here's his blog:

http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2005/05/gory-details-by-demand.html

*Note that Emory is placed in the 20s again w/ this ranking system (using the correct data).  Also, after emailing him, he gave some more specific numbers (first score is USNWR, second is his):

U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 60 59.36
Boston Coll. 59 59.61
Coll. of William and Mary (VA) 59 58.60
Fordham U. (NY) 59 58.80
U. of North Carolina Chapel Hill 59 58.97
U. of Washington 59 59.78
Emory U. (GA) 58 59.28

Why I posted this: I'm very excited about going to Emory Law next year, and I'm getting a bit tired of all the rankings talk.  If you like the school, you like the school.  I was convinced at admit weekend that Emory is an exceptional place to be.

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Law School vs. USNWR
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »
Reporting the wrong employment figures to USNWR?  That has to be one of the stupidest things a school could do.  Someone (like the Dean) should be getting fired over that one.  There is no excuse for that type of mistake.

However, I'm sure they'll get back to their old spot again.

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »
The dean stepped down. He said that his reasons have no relationship to the embarrassing plummet the school took in the rankings (Emory, "do your impersonation of David Caruso's career" [little bit of humor for South Park fans]).

http://www.law.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/View&c=LawArticle&cid=1114074309896&t=StudentArticle

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:15:09 PM »
Sounds like the guy didn't like being Dean anyway.

mascguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry about Emory--and the rankings.  Rankings can be variable at times--you have to look at the big picture.  Although I did actually decline Emory--it was not the rankings.  In fact, I still think that it is one of the strongest universities all around.  So, don't sweat the small stuff--interesting info though.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 12:03:51 AM »
BC is going through a restructuring year this year, they recently dropped from 20 to 27. They are having the same problems with other schools suddenly talking down because of USNews report. Its funny how powerful USnews makes people think about schools. When people start saying BU is better than BC, you know you have a magazine with some pretty manipulative powers.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 12:15:22 AM »
and this affects my career as a compotent/sucessful lawyer how. . . . ?
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 03:51:31 AM »
and this affects my career as a compotent/sucessful lawyer how. . . . ?

To be fair, this is in the "Law School Rankings" board and the topic is about rankings.  If you don't care, I don't see why you are reading the threads.

PS  To answer your question, it probably has little effect.

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »
Someone just got PWN3D!!!!

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:21:52 PM »
Vapid Unicorn:

That post is very accurate. Once a school drops, people stop talking about it. BU is not and has never been at the same level as a lot of schools that are now being compared by people on this board. Meanwhile, Hasings gets no recognition because it has fallen so far behind in the rankings. Its funny. I wonder if Hastings and BU will ever swap back. My buddy graduated from BU last spring and still doesnt have a job. Guess where he is working...........pottery barn. And he wasnt even in the bottom 50% of his class. And people on here are comparing BU to ND, BC, GW? crazy. Im sure hastings does better than BU in job placement. Great post.