Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testmaster/Powerscore weekend courses  (Read 512 times)

tigerbaby

• View Profile
Testmaster/Powerscore weekend courses
« on: June 11, 2005, 10:28:59 AM »
I have taken two practice tests recently and gotten a 155 on both. I am trying to get a 170 on the LSAT in October and would like to know what people think of taking the weekend Testmaster or Powerscore weekend course.  I am moving to NH in August to study Intellectual Property at Franklin Pierce LC.  There are no weekday classes offered in NH and the only other option would be to drive to Boston for these classes. That seems like a painful experience to do two or three times a week since Boston is like an hour away from Concord.  Does anyone recommend these weekend courses and if not what are your suggestions on how to improve your LSAT score?  I am going to purchase Powerscores bible's.  Would that be enough? ???

ELB25

• AOL Instant Messenger - Suitegrl81
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Testmaster/Powerscore weekend courses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 10:40:07 AM »
if you're serious about the 170, take the full course!  it's an investment, and it'll be time and money very well spent.  you don't really need a 170 for Franklin and Pierce, anyway.  I also don't want to burst any bubbles you may have, but a 170 is a long shot.  I mean that is a 15 pt increase!  10 is TM and powerscore average, and when the numbers get the 1650-170 range, they're really hard to improve.  I'd say to honestly expect a 170, you should expect starting with above a 160.

tigerbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 11:01:13 AM »
I will be attending FPLC in the fall for their master's program.  I really would prefer to go to a T1 school for law school. I know 170 is a reach but I will be spending the next couple of months working at it.
I have heard really good things about both TM and PS but I don't know if it is feasible to drive 2 hours each time I have to go to a class.  Does it really make that much of a difference?  Which one do you recommend?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 01:26:54 PM »
I will be attending FPLC in the fall for their master's program.  I really would prefer to go to a T1 school for law school. I know 170 is a reach but I will be spending the next couple of months working at it.
I have heard really good things about both TM and PS but I don't know if it is feasible to drive 2 hours each time I have to go to a class.  Does it really make that much of a difference?  Which one do you recommend?

Both are very good, much depends on the instructor, but those two classes are reliably among the few best.

But don't take any weekend course that occurs only 2 or 3 weeks before the LSAT you plan on taking; it takes quite a while for the concepts to truly become second-nature, so if you take a weekend course, you should take the LSAT exam that occurs after the one that immediately follows the weekend course.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

rightway05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:29:28 PM »
"But don't take any weekend course that occurs only 2 or 3 weeks before the LSAT you plan on taking; it takes quite a while for the concepts to truly become second-nature, so if you take a weekend course, you should take the LSAT exam that occurs after the one that immediately follows the weekend course."

Theo, does that apply to taking a full length course that ends a few days before the actual test?  The Powerscore prep course I'm looking at runs from July-September.  Would you advise taking a course that ends a little earlier than that?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 07:39:42 PM »

Theo, does that apply to taking a full length course that ends a few days before the actual test?  The Powerscore prep course I'm looking at runs from July-September.  Would you advise taking a course that ends a little earlier than that?

No, because 10 weeks is enough time to master the methodology, provided you are diligent about doing the homework, which is substantial.  The best approach is to do a full course, and you should know by early-mid September whether you're on track for a satisfactory score.  If not, you can think about postponing and doing more preparation, but then you get into the question of whether you have a fair quantity of fresh exams remaining for the next build-up. 

The ideal is to make certain that you will have 20 or 30 hours per week outside of the Lessons to practice on every available question, then take the real exam at the end of that period of intense buildup.

tigerbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 09:03:58 PM »
Do these courses really make a difference?  I mean, the 4-6 hours each week that I would have to spend driving to take a course could be used taking another practice test/studing independently.  Is TM or PM really worth the driving time and expense?  I really want to score in the high 160 if not 170.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:58:14 PM »
Do these courses really make a difference?  I mean, the 4-6 hours each week that I would have to spend driving to take a course could be used taking another practice test/studing independently.  Is TM or PM really worth the driving time and expense?  I really want to score in the high 160 if not 170.

Well, you have some time before you have to decide. 

Get your hands on the LRB and LGB, and see how much you are able to absorb.  You won't have your hand held, but with those books and lots of preptests, nobody needs the courses.

If it looks promising, then you're good to go; if not, you have a month or so before you have to make the decision of whether to register for the classes.