Law School Discussion

Kaplan

Kaplan
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:00:40 PM »
Is the Kaplan prep course the best way to prepare for te the LSAT? I intend to take the test in October, and I'd like to know if it's a good investment.
Thanks for the feedback.

P

NathanB

Re: Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »
The people on here recommend testmasters a lot.  I took Kaplan - they give you some good info, but you have to apply it yourself, they won't have you do all the work in class like testmasters.

There's my 2 cents.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:24:02 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info.
P

hizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »
Make sure you go to testmasters180.com, not testmasters.com.

Regards,

Hizzle

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 04:14:39 AM »
Is the Kaplan prep course the best way to prepare for te the LSAT? I intend to take the test in October, and I'd like to know if it's a good investment.
Thanks for the feedback.

P

not be numbnuts, eh?

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 05:33:01 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

P

It is not the best. But before you start throwing money at prep courses, get some books, review the material and see if this is something you can "self study".

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 08:57:59 AM »
I took Kaplan and it didn't help much.  It was mostly someone at the front reading outta their prep book.  I don't place the blame at my instructor's feet, but at the company.  I would definitely advise you to take something else instead, preferably Testmasters or Powerscore based on the info here.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »
I don't know how there can be any comparison between Kaplan/Princeton and TM/PS.  For one, Kaplan and Princeton make up all of their questions, so that practice score you get isn't off a real scaled LSAT (and the national scale is all that matters), you don't practice on real questions, and the teachers don't have to have done exceedingly well on the test, in contrast to TM/PS.  I took testmasters, raised my score a helluva lot.  You get every real LSAT Q in existence, 99th percentile teachers, tons of hours of class instruction, the list goes on.  If you're going to take a prep course (which I HIGHLY recommend), it has to be TM or PS, don't waste your money on the others.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »
I really have no idea, but if I were going to spend $1000+ on LSAT instruction, I would get a testmasters private tutor for 20 hrs at $1600.  I would guess that one hour of personalized instruction is worth at least four hours of classroom instruction.  But again, I really have no idea.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 04:16:13 PM »
Yeah the whole center deal is silly. They still have those laminated tests, but since they provide you with a book of all 45 preptests, and since you can download full answer keys to any given preptests, there's no need to take a proctored test with them.

The problem was that the classes were the instructors reads from the text.