Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do law school students get involved with each other a lot?  (Read 2636 times)

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
Re: Do law school students get involved with each other a lot?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »

Take it slow with dating, dont date early in the year, or you risk cutting yourself off socially.  Get to know people first, beware of one night stands, drunken sex, dont lie to get anyone in bed, dont cheat, etc.  If you're to date within your class, do it discretely, profesionally, maturely, etc.

isnt this advice for dating anyone, anywhere? besides, the only reason anyone would frown on it is because they want to be the one doing it.
why would anyone care? if theyre busy caring then theyre not busy doing their shite, and should get a life. i dont even give a rat's ass who the president is doing... none of anybody's business.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 09:58:12 PM »
I'm going to find someone over in the nursing dept!  I just have a thing for them.  ;D

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 10:05:36 PM »
I'm curious if law school students get involved in relationships a lot. It seems like a really bad idea, especially considering all the work everyone says there is during the first year.

It seems to creat a lot of drama. So I would tread lightly until you know if it's going to be somewhat serious. I don't think you want the HS drama to get in the way of your studies. With law schools being so small and competitive people are really in your business. If you don't mind and can ignore it, go for it, if not, ask yourself "Is the juice, worth the squeeze?"

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 11:01:24 PM »
I'm curious if law school students get involved in relationships a lot. It seems like a really bad idea, especially considering all the work everyone says there is during the first year.

It seems to creat a lot of drama. So I would tread lightly until you know if it's going to be somewhat serious. I don't think you want the HS drama to get in the way of your studies. With law schools being so small and competitive people are really in your business. If you don't mind and can ignore it, go for it, if not, ask yourself "Is the juice, worth the squeeze?"

i know your juice is

lcmatl

• View Profile
    • my stats
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »
There's a difference between hook-ups and dating. The former might be ill-advised in any small community, but to say, "You shouldn't date a fellow student" seems silly. You can pretty much guarantee that as soon as you tell yourself it's not convenient for you to have a relationship, you'll meet someone. You can't (and shouldn't) micromanage life that way.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 01:34:07 PM »
There's a difference between hook-ups and dating. The former might be ill-advised in any small community, but to say, "You shouldn't date a fellow student" seems silly. You can pretty much guarantee that as soon as you tell yourself it's not convenient for you to have a relationship, you'll meet someone. You can't (and shouldn't) micromanage life that way.

Agreed... Arent there a lot more important things to worry about in law school and in life in general than wether or not its socially exceptable to date or hook up with a fellow law student.. Mang.. some of you guys scare me with all this up-tight professionalism b u l l * & ^ %.. I mean, Ive worked in the consulting business (engineering) for three years and no one gives a rats arse about dating within the office.. There are MORE important things to worry about.. Sure, if you think breaking up will mean "high school drama" for the remainder of your law school years you probably shouldnt do it.. But, arent most men and women in law school a wee bit more mature than that.. I dunno.. this whole discussion just seems weird to me..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 01:50:07 PM »
Agreed... Arent there a lot more important things to worry about in law school and in life in general than wether or not its socially exceptable to date or hook up with a fellow law student.. Mang.. some of you guys scare me with all this up-tight professionalism b u l l * & ^ %.. I mean, Ive worked in the consulting business (engineering) for three years and no one gives a rats arse about dating within the office.. There are MORE important things to worry about.. Sure, if you think breaking up will mean "high school drama" for the remainder of your law school years you probably shouldnt do it.. But, arent most men and women in law school a wee bit more mature than that.. I dunno.. this whole discussion just seems weird to me..
I guess the setting overcomes people.  The atmosphere you would expect, which would probably be similar to an office, doesn't happen.  It's weird because the factors are there for a professional, mature atmosphere (range of ages, many students with work experience, goal-oriented education, the general type of people who attend law school).  My guess is once law school starts to consume someone's life, they get more and more susceptible to "high school drama".  And once someone kicks off the high school drama (likely an undergrad who came to law school to avoid entering the work force), everyone is too consumed with the school to ignore/avoid it.  The older students who've been in the work force probably don't have as much effect at stopping this than you would expect because many are eager to be back in school, and unfortuntely, the law school environment more resembles a private high school than college, so they kind of get sucked in.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm sorry, but I just find this very hard to believe.  You are a 1L, so we'll take your word for it.  But I have NEVER heard of twenty somethings making sexual relations a frowned upon practice.

Phanatic.

I have very few friends that have gone to law school, but both the male and female friend mentioned that there was plenty of hooking up, or opportunities to do so, and that there was plenty of gossip about it.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »
get all the 'tang you can; ignore all other advice.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 11:11:03 AM »
I have very few friends that have gone to law school, but both the male and female friend mentioned that there was plenty of hooking up, or opportunities to do so, and that there was plenty of gossip about it.
Gossip alone does not mean they are looking down on it, it could be envy, or more likely just boredom.

I would say people are going to talk a lot more in law school than in most other educational settings.  There are gonna be people who look down on it, people who think it's great, and people who don't care.  If you treat it more like an office romance and not like a high school one (i.e. no making out in the halls), I don't see the problem.  Just as long as you know what comes with intimate relationships in such a small community.