Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC Preorientation - observations  (Read 1069 times)

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC Preorientation - observations
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 02:20:46 PM »
Curious, what did the email say?

tegra8

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 02:23:44 PM »
quick summary...

no movement yet
expect to by the end of the month
stop calling

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 03:58:38 PM »
Extremely reassuring. I have a feeling that law school will be so much more enjoyable without the fear of busting my a$$ and still being one of the xx% dismissed due to forced attrition.

Does anyone have any more info regarding LEAP? 

I don't know much about LEAP.  I'm sure you got the letter in the mail about LEAP a week or so ago.  They basically repeated that information to us at preorientation. If you're "non traditional" in any way LEAP may help you prepare for law school.  It's something like a 3 day program that lasts all day.  They teach you how to read and brief cases and also use the Socratic Method.  It's basically very much like a law school class.  One panelist who had done LEAP said it helped her not only prepare for the start of school but also gave her a group of people to which she could relate once school started.  So, if nothing else at least you'd make some new friends before the start of school.  I think there are about 40 open spots.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 10:26:58 PM »
bhsueiu... you get the WL email today?

posted this in the wailist forum, but figured there was a better chance of you seeing it here

Yep...despite the huge flip-floppy-stomach thing it gave me with the subject heading "UNC Law - Waitlist"...I guess it's a good sign-they asked those who were no longer interested in staying on the waitlist to let them know, in preparation for movement.  So at least they may actually go to thier waitlist this year.

I had heard that there were some phone-stalkers out there calling every week.  Figure it's a bad thing when they know you for that reason. If I ever get the chance to give some advice, I would recommend that they post an FAQ for waitlisters similar to what U. Mich has...http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/Admissions/wait-faq.htm  Seems like a proactive way to handle it.  And I have to say, hearing ANYTHING from them was nice-at least I know they haven't lost my email :)

tegra8

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 10:34:10 PM »
yeah i hear ya on the initial reaction to the email... this is the second school now that has sent out a waitlist email.  Unfortunately both of them have just been the generic info waitlist emails and not the are you still interested? great, you're admitted emails! 

just making sure you got it since we both seem to be in the same situation...   hope you have as much fun waiting over the next couple weeks as i do!