Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC Preorientation - observations  (Read 1097 times)

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNC Preorientation - observations
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:55:48 PM »
Well, I just got back from preorientation at UNC.  I promised a report, so here are some thoughts.

I was impressed with the turnout, seemed like we  had easily over 100 people.

We checked in at 8:30 in the law school rotunda and had an informal breakfast/chatted with some other admitted students.

After the breakfast, they took us to an auditorium and we listened to a professor speak about the "first year expectations."  He said we wouldn't remember anything he said, and in my opinion he was basically right.  I guess that's how it is with any speaker though.  I drifted in and out of attention. 

We then moved on to a Q & A with some 2 and 3L's.  This was probably the most informative aspect of the program.  Basically they informed us that UNC is not at all a cutthroat law school and that open cooperation among students is practiced and encouraged.  One student talked about how he missed a few days of class and 20 people were emailing him asking if he needed notes.  The students also mentioned that law school will take up as much space in your life as you let it.  One of the students talked about how his law school life became so hectic that he and his wife separated after first semester.  Overall, the grading is tough but the atmosphere is very collegial.  That was pretty much the take home message. UNC also has a "bar review" every Thursday where the students go out to various bars and let off some law school stress.  We had a mini bar review last night, and some of the 2L's I talked to said bar review is a big deal, especially among the younger students.

After lunch there were a few more presentations about law clinics, journal opportunities and scholarships/financial aid.  By this point I was getting sleepy and the lack of scenery change (all of the presentations were in the same room) kind of contributed to my apathy.  Basically they stressed the large amount of pro bono work done by 1L's at UNC.  Although it is not required, many students choose to do pro bono work their first year. 

That's about all.  If anyone else has anything to add or has any questions let me know.

stash33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNC Preorientation - observations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:22:53 AM »
Hey, thanks for reporting back.  Did any of the speakers or students go into detail regarding grades, specifically what the scale is set at? Other than the guy who flipped out and split with his wife, were there any other horror stories? Not trying to scare myself, merely trying to be prepared.

Thanks again

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:35:44 PM »
No they did not talk about a specific scale.  Each of the 2L's that spoke on the panel, or that I spoke to individually pretty much said everyone wants to be at the top of the class when they came in. As is typical with a forced curve, they all said they ended up with lower grades than they were ever used to receiving.  What these grades were or where the scale is set are a mystery to me.  They did say that people don't fail out of Carolina, and that academic attrition is virtually unheard of.  I'm assuming this means the curve is set somewhere around 3.0.   

No other horror stories to speak of.  Even the guy that separated from his wife told us how much he loved Carolina and was happy with his decision to attend.  There could have been any of a number of other problems that were only compounded by law school.  Another lady on the panel said that she and her husband were fine, just that they didn't have too much time for each other 1L year, which is probably to be expected.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »
I thought it was mainly useful for getting an idea of the type of people attending. I did a quick headcount and it was right at 100. I was pleasantly surprised by the diverse demographics, especially age-wise.

There were presentations about some of the clinics and journals that was interesting, but since we will have nothing to do with them for a year it's not worth going into here and now.

I thought it was funny that at lunch, for the most part, boys sat with boys and girls sat with girls. I had at least one conversation with a recent grad, 22, and thought oh my, she's young.  But like I said there was a nice spectrum of "grown-ups."

Very uneventful tour. What's there to say?  Here's the big library, here's the classrooms, here's the mailroom, here's the library.. oh wait, we've been here already.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 09:14:05 AM »
Did they give any information about prepping for school?  Anything admits should be doing now to prepare?

Thanks!

stash33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:07:04 AM »
They did say that people don't fail out of Carolina, and that academic attrition is virtually unheard of.  

Extremely reassuring. I have a feeling that law school will be so much more enjoyable without the fear of busting my a$$ and still being one of the xx% dismissed due to forced attrition.

Does anyone have any more info regarding LEAP? 

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
They have the LEAP program for those who might have "more difficulty adjusting" whatever that means, and they have a reading list they recommend.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 12:53:35 PM »
Did they hand out the recommended reading list?  Is it similar to that found in PLS or other prep materials?

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »
They didn't hand anythingout but I know this is part of it.

http://www.unc.edu/~ramckinn/index.html

tegra8

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »
bhsueiu... you get the WL email today?

posted this in the wailist forum, but figured there was a better chance of you seeing it here