Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What keyboards are best for protecting wrists?  (Read 397 times)

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
What keyboards are best for protecting wrists?
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:09:32 PM »
I need help finding a keyboard for home that will minimize the wrist strain effects of typing all the time at school.

Requirements:
  • Mac layout
  • Touchpad or some sort of on-keyboard ergonomic mousing
  • Split keyboard "wave" design is preferred
  • No wrist rest or removable wrist rest (these compress the carpal tunnel)

What I've found so far is the Adesso Tru-Form.
http://www.ergodirect.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=180

Is there another or better I should consider? I can afford up to $300 for a good one, but what I can't afford is severe CTS symptoms during law school from typing on a flat laptop keyboard!
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
Re: What keyboards are best for protecting wrists?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »
I've found that actually putting the laptop in your lap instead of on a desk or table is a much more comfortable way to type. At least for me. You should be able to find a great ergonomic (which implies split) keyboard for way less than $300.
Shots of Jack Daniels also help with wrist pain.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 02:03:32 PM »
I agree that laptop in lap is more comfortable than on table. However, that brings in the problem of the screen being too low. Ergonomically, I should be able to see my screen without tilting my head down. I'll just deal with it at school, but at home I want to be as safe as I can (I've had serious problems before).

I'm toying with the idea of a laptop stand, but I think it will work better for me to put my laptop up on some books and my ergo keyboard down on my keyboard tray.
3.52 164|cancel|173

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 05:03:10 PM »
I use the ps/2 version of this keyboard:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/contoured_usb.htm

I was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome and "overuse tendonitis" about a year ago.  9 months ago I switched to a kinesis at work and symptoms rarely appear anymore.  In those 3 months I also started to develop carpal tunnel syndrome, based on self-tests (and my hands were going numb).  This keyboard has really helped.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 06:15:02 PM »
Hm. I looked at the Kinesis one but I wasn't sure b/c it looked so weird and I only had one recommendation on it. I went and got the Adesso Tru-Form, but if that doesn't do the trick I may switch to the Kinesis. Thanks!
3.52 164|cancel|173

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
Hm. I looked at the Kinesis one but I wasn't sure b/c it looked so weird and I only had one recommendation on it. I went and got the Adesso Tru-Form, but if that doesn't do the trick I may switch to the Kinesis. Thanks!

The Adesso will probably do the trick - just having the split keyboard will help a lot.  I've never seen a keyboard with a touchpad in the middle.  I'm curious to see how that works out.  If we both go to uva I guess I'll find out.