Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Willamette vs Gonzaga  (Read 1598 times)

zanana

• View Profile
Willamette vs Gonzaga
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:07:38 PM »
I know many of you are grappling with decisions over schools such as Harvard vs Yale.  I am not in the same league (LSAT 155, gpa 3.73) but am facing the same sort of dilemma. I am  waitlisted for Seattle and deferred at Lews and Clark but accepted at Willamette (with $30,000) and Gonzaga (with $33,000).  I am Canadian although attended Ohio State University on an athletic scholarship. Can you please give me some feedback on which is better of the two schools I have been accepted at so far?   Thank you very much!

Bhoutros

• View Profile
Re: Willamette vs Gonzaga
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 01:43:34 PM »
Hi - good luck with you decision.  I think it depends on where you want to practice when finished with law school.  I've been accepted at Willamette and Gonzaga.  I told Gonzaga "no thanks", and am trying to decide between Willamette and Montana.  I am also on the wiat list for Seattle U.

I think Willamette is higher ranked than Gonzaga,. (US News and World Report)  Willamette has a beautiful campus and I really was impressed with the professors I met there during an open house.  The law school is right across the street from the Oregon State Capitol, so there would be lots of oportunities for internships.  Willamette is an hour from Portland and about 4 hours from Seattle.

For me, if Gonzaga and Willamette were my only oprtions I'd pick Willamette.

A.J.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:07:43 PM »
willamette

DantéS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 02:12:43 PM »
Check Gonzaga's attrition rate.  That's enough to give Willamette the edge by itself.
"All human wisdom is contained in these two words, ‘Wait and hope.’”

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 10:43:53 PM »
I was accepted by Seattle U, Willamette and Gonzaga, and chose Gonzaga.  Their campus is beautiful and Spokane is a great city that offers lots of internship opportunities since it is the only law school on that side of the state.  In addition, Gonzaga has a strong reputation regionally in Washington and a strong alumni base in the NW.  The school places quite well in Seattle, especially if you have any desire to go into an area focusing on social justice/public service.  I have personally been told by several lawyers (who did not attend Gonzaga) that Gonzaga is the law school to attend in Washington State if you wish to receive the best all around law education.  I'm sure those attending SU and UW would disagree, but this is what I was told by actual attorneys in Seattle.

Good luck with the decision. :) 
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

willamette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »
Same type of story for Willamette except the local rep and internships are in Portland/Salem.  The only plus for Willamette is the proximity to the city.  You could attend Willamette and commute to work in Portland (not so with GU and Seattle).  This post is a year late, but I thought I would write for any late readers.  I chose Willamette; I am happy with my choice.