Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I bought a new bed for law school...  (Read 596 times)

mxpocc

So I bought a new bed for law school...
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:37:41 AM »
I know it probably sounds silly, but in law school confidential the author suggests investing in a new bed so you can get the best possible night's sleep--even if for only 5-7 hours.

So I bought one of those Tempurpedic sets and convinced the salesman to throw in two of the  tempurpedic pillows for free. It's still hard to justify spending 2k on a bed set, but our other mattress was getting pretty bad anyway. Is a good night's sleep worth that much? I think so.

Am I the only one to take the new bed advice seriously?

:-\

NathanB

Re: So I bought a new bed for law school...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
Sometimes these authors really scare me about this stuff.  Is law school seriously bad enough to warrant buying a new bed?

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:54:30 AM »
Luckily I don't think I need a new bed.  I got mine in January '01 and only slept on it for 3 years before I graduated and moved back in with my parents.  So now my bed hasn't been used in almost a year and a half.

Besides, I can't afford a new bed when I need a new dresser and nightstands for my bedroom.  And a nice bed frame.  IKEA here I come!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »
If I didn't have a great bed already, I'd totally buy a new one.  The advice makes so much sense to me, but aside from that, I love having a good bed!!

When I got my bed (which was one I used at home and brought back after graduation) I put extra money into a feather bed and linens.  Even if you're not stressed or busy or whatever, there's just something about sinking into a comfy bed that can't be beat.

I especially think the advice was aimed at kids graduating from college or recent grads still sleeping on the futon.  I slept on my fair share of futons, and they can't beat a good bed with nice sheets!

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:20:29 AM »
I read the same thing in law school confidential, and its not something that should necessarily be aiumed specifically at law schools, but really at life in general. Now, having grown up in a furniture store, I can say that you don't need to spend over 500 dollars for a great nights sleep. But any time in your life when you need to do what you can to minimize stress and distractions, a great nights sleep is essential, and a good bed is the most important part of that. It goes right along with not having a roomate and not living next to a loud frat house. Minimize stress, minimize distractions.

inthesun

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »
I didn't know people actually had time to sleep in law school!   :D

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »
I am going to toss all my furniture and buy new (used) when I get to school. I'll just take my linens (high thread count is so nice, and so easy to get from Overstock) and my memory foam pad. I have the 2 inch one, and it is so, so comfortable. It almost doesn't matter what kind of mattress you have underneath.
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 02:29:01 PM »
I agree, having a super-comfy bed is really important and well worth it.  The only problem with mine is that it;s so nice, I sleep in more than I ought to!

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
You bought a new bed for law school? You do know that they frown upon you bringing those things to class with you, right?

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »
But if you gotta spend the night studying in the library, you can't beat it. ;)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.