Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Next Summer I'm going on a 10,000 mile Australian Roadtrip  (Read 382 times)

sarmstrong806

Next Summer I'm going on a 10,000 mile Australian Roadtrip
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:09:11 AM »
Thats right, next summer 3 of my friends and I are flying to Sidney, renting an RV for 38 days, and driving over 16,000 Kilometers.

I'm really excited about it and we are planning it out way ahead of time. The route us already set.

Anyway post if you have been to Australia or you want to know more or whatever.

I'm looking forward to it and can;t stop talking about it and finishing up my research. It'll be more fun because I'll be done with the LSAT and into Lawschool.

sarmstrong806

Re: Next Summer I'm going on a 10,000 mile Australian Roadtrip
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 04:28:50 AM »
I thought so yes.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 04:34:14 AM »
Appreciate it.

B&W picture is cool btw, sometimes less is more.

fooseball22

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »
i'll sum up the middle of australia for you...RED..you'll know what im talking about when you get there.

I suggest driving up the east coast and ending up in cairnes (the great barrier reef is amazing for diving...obviously) and if you have the time hit alice springs (the olgas and ayers rock are really worth the trip alone)...adelaide and melbourne are pretty sweet...as for the west coast...i have no clue, never got there, but i hear its alright.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »
Thats exactly what we are doing.

Flying into Sydney then going to

Canberra
Melbourne
Adelaide
Ayers Rock
Alice Springs
Cairns
Brisbane
Gold Coast
New Castle

We aren't going to make it to the west coast. It's already going to cost $3500 in Diesel at the current exchange rate and fuel prices, which are two items I'm worried about.

Kait

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:56:50 PM »
If you have a chance while you are near Sydney, you might want to check out the Blue Mountains. My trip there was awesome - went hiking, saw gorgeous waterfalls, tried rapelling (they call it abseiling). The name comes from the blue tinge of the sky (you really can see it!) resulting from the eucalyptus trees in the valleys of the mountains.

Also, if you are interested in wine at all, check out one of Australia's many wine regions - they are scattered about the country, but near Sydney is the Hunter Valley. You can do wine tasting, get a tour to see how it is made, and the areas are really beautiful just to look at. Also, my drive was full of wild kangaroos! (It is an easy day trip from the city, as are the Blue Mountains, though they are a little further.)

Also, if you find that you are short on time while there or suddenly decide that you want to stay longer at one place than you expected, I would recommend that Canberra be the first place to skip. I know it is the capital, but there is very little there and it is a good hike from Sydney. There were a couple neat museums, however, and the drive past all the embassies was exciting (all of the different buildings are designed in the typical architecture and style of their respective countries).

While in Cairns, another place I would recommend is the Kuranda rainforest. You can take this scenic railcar through the area, go on the skyrail over the canopy, and hike guided or alone. Also nearby is Tjapukai, this Aboriginal park where you can see dance performances, practice and learn to throw a boomerang, try spear-throwing, etc. It was a pretty fun place.

I know that's a lot of stuff to throw out there, but I figured more is probably better. I'm so excited for you. I spent six months in Sydney and did a little travelling around the rest of the country as well - it was amazing!

fooseball22

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »
Also, do NOT skip the Olgas...theyre right by ayers rock and there is a view there that will floor you...And dont climb ayers rock, its sacred land for the aboriginees, although the white tour guides will insist its fine.  Also, try to catch a footy match if you can, they're heaps fun. I also did Kuranda, it was awesome.  If you can, try to catch a sailing trip while on the gold coast...its worth it.

I also heard canberra was worth missing.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 05:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the input.

If you have a chance while you are near Sydney, you might want to check out the Blue Mountains. My trip there was awesome - went hiking, saw gorgeous waterfalls, tried rapelling (they call it abseiling). The name comes from the blue tinge of the sky (you really can see it!) resulting from the eucalyptus trees in the valleys of the mountains.

My roomate defintely wants to go backpacking in the blue mountains. We are all going to be taking our packs so we will be doing alot of side hikes and one nighter trips.

We were going to try to catch some kind of match, be it cricket or rugby, or whatever.